Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Mark
Regular Visitor

Question about graphics attributes

Hi,

I am trying to create some application that, between other things, will show places at the map (lat. & long.) using different graphics options, such as size, color, shape etc. (getting info from some Excel file).

Up to now, I was succeeded to do it with 4 Excel info columns:     Location      Latitude      Longitude      Size.

I put each column at appropriate place at the Power BI GUI, and I see each point as green circle at appropriate place at the map, with appropriate size.

But I cannot understand how can I change other graphics attributes, such as color and shape (for example).

Is it possible?

Mark.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
greggyb
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

The same thing, but with pictures this time! All of these options are identical regardless of the data source - that's the promise of Power BI, no matter where your data comes from you can treat it all the same in PBI. In this case, the promise is true. The following color options are identical for all sources. It does not matter if your data is coming in from Excel. Here's what @Seth_C_Bauer and I have been saying.

Saturation gives you a range between 2-3 colors based on the evaluation of a measure for the point plotted (depends on divergent or non-divergent)!

Note the measure value in the color saturation well for the map visualNote the measure value in the color saturation well for the map visualNote the definition of data colors in the formatting pane.Note the definition of data colors in the formatting pane.

Your other option is to use the legend, which automatically assigns a unique color to every legend entry!

Note we've got a field in the legend well for the map visualization!Note we've got a field in the legend well for the map visualization!See how we can change the colors for those legend entries manually in the formatting pane of the map visual!See how we can change the colors for those legend entries manually in the formatting pane of the map visual!

The keen observer will note that we used the same formatting menu, 'Data colors', for each of these options. Legend and color saturation are mutually exclusive in a map.

Have fun with your info from the Excel file.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
greggyb
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Shape: no.

Color: You can use color saturation to set up a color scale based on numeric value.

You can change the color of specific legend entries manually.

Thank you for your answer.

OK, I understand that I cannot change the shape - it always will remain circle.

But what about color - it simply always will be green, with different levels of saturation?

Mark.

@Mark You can use a legend and select different colors in the format section (Paintbrush)

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

OK, thank you, I will try it.

But, as I said, I need to get all the info from Excel file, and, as I understand, I cannot change the color using Excel (or any other external option) - only saturation. Is it true?

greggyb
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

The same thing, but with pictures this time! All of these options are identical regardless of the data source - that's the promise of Power BI, no matter where your data comes from you can treat it all the same in PBI. In this case, the promise is true. The following color options are identical for all sources. It does not matter if your data is coming in from Excel. Here's what @Seth_C_Bauer and I have been saying.

Saturation gives you a range between 2-3 colors based on the evaluation of a measure for the point plotted (depends on divergent or non-divergent)!

Note the measure value in the color saturation well for the map visualNote the measure value in the color saturation well for the map visualNote the definition of data colors in the formatting pane.Note the definition of data colors in the formatting pane.

Your other option is to use the legend, which automatically assigns a unique color to every legend entry!

Note we've got a field in the legend well for the map visualization!Note we've got a field in the legend well for the map visualization!See how we can change the colors for those legend entries manually in the formatting pane of the map visual!See how we can change the colors for those legend entries manually in the formatting pane of the map visual!

The keen observer will note that we used the same formatting menu, 'Data colors', for each of these options. Legend and color saturation are mutually exclusive in a map.

Have fun with your info from the Excel file.

Thanks a lot for your explanations.

I am a new customer of Power BI, so not all is clear for me, but I will try to do what you are recommended.

Mark.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.