Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Barkop_1
Frequent Visitor

Question about Box and Whisker chart

I am in need of preparing dashboard with some statistical visualizations. Among others I need to show Boxplot chart.

I downloaded Box and Whisker by MAQ Software (which has ‘PBI Certified’ flag).

Trying it out I realized it gives me strange results, different that the ones I got using measures in the table / matrix.

I checked the data manually - the table numbers are correct.

Does anyone know / can explain mechanisms of this Box and Whisker by MAQ Software? 

Measures in the table:

Mean = AVERAGE(Flow[TimeOnSubphase]),

Quartile 1 = PERCENTILE.inc(Flow[TimeOnSubphase],.25),

Median = MEDIAN(Flow[TimeOnSubphase]),

Quartile 3 = PERCENTILE.INC(Flow[TimeOnSubphase],.75)

Qyarion boxplot.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Barkop_1
Frequent Visitor

I finally figured out the answer to my question. The Box and Whisker by MAQ Software has limitation of 30000 sampling rows. I guess that it just simply disregards the rest of the rows... You can observe it when using another statistical visualization called Violin plot - this one also has limitation of 30k rows, which is visible on the tooltip. In first screen you can see comparison between Violin tooltip and my data - I had raw data with 60k+ rows. When I did some filtering on my data and went below 30k the numbers on both viz and table became consistent (screen 2 and 3).

In my humble opinion there should be some information about this limitation…

Przechwytywanie.JPGPrzechwytywanie2.JPGscreen 2.png

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Barkop_1
Frequent Visitor

I finally figured out the answer to my question. The Box and Whisker by MAQ Software has limitation of 30000 sampling rows. I guess that it just simply disregards the rest of the rows... You can observe it when using another statistical visualization called Violin plot - this one also has limitation of 30k rows, which is visible on the tooltip. In first screen you can see comparison between Violin tooltip and my data - I had raw data with 60k+ rows. When I did some filtering on my data and went below 30k the numbers on both viz and table became consistent (screen 2 and 3).

In my humble opinion there should be some information about this limitation…

Przechwytywanie.JPGPrzechwytywanie2.JPGscreen 2.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.