Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Gene2020
Frequent Visitor

Query Editor changing case of SQL data

When I import a SQL table into Power BI Desktop the query editor is changing the text case to all Upper case.  This is causing a real problem since the Contract ID field we use contains both upper and lower case.  For example we can have a customer with a contract of 0A, and another customer with a contract of 0a.  The query editor is changing both to 0A.   How do I get the Query Editor to leave the case of text the same as the original source?

Thanks for your help!

Gene

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Gene2020
It’s surprising for me but I found the issue and idea like yours. You can support the idea by voting for it https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/17235656-case-sensitive-insensiti...
There are also a few possible workarounds in comments to this idea

do not hesitate to give a kudo to useful posts and mark solutions as solution
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Robert14358
Resolver II
Resolver II

why would Microsoft do this? it really hurts finding errors in data if it changes the case sensitivity on my data lol

az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Gene2020 

just check right Pane "Query settings" in power query editor mode and remove step "Uppercased Text" or go to the advanced editor aand find and remove a row like

#"Uppercased Text" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Changed Type",{{"Contract ID", Text.Upper, type text}})

LinkedIn
Gene2020
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the quick reply but there is no step to change case to upper text.  The query editor in desktop appears to do this automatically.   There isn't a step I can delete or change.

az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Gene2020 

query editor can not produce any transforming step without record about it. you should check your data source

are you sure you are talking about query editor? are you sure you check it? maybe you should to refresh preview?

you can also share your pbix-file without sensitive data to check it

LinkedIn
Gene2020
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the information.  What I am saying is that when I choose a SQL table as a source file to load into Power BI Desktop, the field that has customer contracts (a 2 digit field) is converted to case the same case (without my intervention) and creates the wrong code in the table when loaded into Desktop.  There is no step in the query editor when I look at it becauser there are only two steps.  Source, and Navigation....and neither shows change case to upper.  An example is:  In the SQL table being loaded the contract could be 0A  or 0a.  When loaded the Power BI Table shows 0A for both of these; that is incorrect.   It does this with any contract that has both upper and lower case combiniations (e.g.  1A and 1a will appear as 1A, 2B and 2b will appear as 2B, etc.).   It has nothing to do with me applying transformations during the load, this happens as part of the import and I have no control over it as far as I can determine.  That is what I am asking; can I stop the load from converting these codes automatically.   Sorry I wasn't clear.  

az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Gene2020
It’s surprising for me but I found the issue and idea like yours. You can support the idea by voting for it https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/17235656-case-sensitive-insensiti...

LinkedIn
Zyg_D
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@az38 wrote:
@Gene2020

Looks like the link is broken.
Is it this one? 
https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=a9843990-64f6-ea11-b5d9-281878bdaa58 

Gene2020
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the link.  I appreciate you taking the time to assist very much!  I will deal with the issue in some other way until the Power BI team comes up with a solution.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.