Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

aashton
Helper V
Helper V

Problem with joining tables and filters

Hello,

I have a job posting table and a location table, linked on Location ID.  I  have a couple measures, one on Job Posting table, total Postings, and one on the Location table, total Staffing, and use Total Postings/Total Staffing to find another measure.   I need to filter out locations that are less than a year old.  If I create the column on the Location table to find new locations, and use this to filter, it filters the Locations table (thus reducing the Total Staffing measure), but it also removes all Job Postings that do no link to the Locations table.  I want to keep all Job Postings that do not link to the Locations table in the Total Postings count.  So I then created a left join on the Location table and added the New/Existing flag into the Job Postings table.  But now when I fitler on this, it reduces the Total Postings but does not filter the Total Staffing on the Locations table.

Any idea how I can filter out new locations, but keeps all job postings that do not link(exist) in the Locations table?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@aashton well then make small tweak and you will be good to go:

Total FTEStatus = SUM(JobRequisitions[FTEStatus]) +
IF ( ISFILTERED ( 'CRM Sharepoint'[New/Existing Column] ),
CALCULATE (sum(JobRequisitions[FTEStatus]), REMOVEFILTERS ('CRM Sharepoint'), KEEPFILTERS (JobRequisitions[Location_Identifier] = "NULL" ) )
, 0 
)

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@aashton the most logical sense is to fill the missing location id's in the location table rather than juggling with DAX, again you can always write a complex DAX or you make your data ready that is ready to consume and have less juggling the DAX. I would recommend 2nd option in this case, although DAX can achieve what you are looking for, it is overkill.

This is how I will approach it.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@aashton well then make small tweak and you will be good to go:

Total FTEStatus = SUM(JobRequisitions[FTEStatus]) +
IF ( ISFILTERED ( 'CRM Sharepoint'[New/Existing Column] ),
CALCULATE (sum(JobRequisitions[FTEStatus]), REMOVEFILTERS ('CRM Sharepoint'), KEEPFILTERS (JobRequisitions[Location_Identifier] = "NULL" ) )
, 0 
)

Can I ask one more scenario?  What if a job posting does have a Location Identifier, but it does not exist in the Locations table, there is no match?  How can I include these?

Yes, that worked.  thank you so much!!!!

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@aashton make sure measure format is set to decimal, select the measure and check the format, and if required, change it to decimal

parry2k_0-1646068810432.png

Follow us on LinkedIn and YouTube.gif to our YouTube channel

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Yes, thank you so much that works.  But now I'm thinking, if I let the users change the filters, they can change from existing to new, and it will still work.  But if they remove the filter and want to see all of them, the total FTEStatus will be too high....because it will add the total FTEStatus, but then add the ones missing the Location Identifiers in again....

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@aashton replace countrows with whatever summarization you want to use, sum ( Table[Column Name] )

The core logic is going to be the same.

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

So I've changed it to this:

Total FTEStatus = SUM(JobRequisitions[FTEStatus]) + CALCULATE (sum(JobRequisitions[FTEStatus]), REMOVEFILTERS ('CRM Sharepoint'), KEEPFILTERS (JobRequisitions[Location_Identifier] = "NULL" ) )

I think it's doing something with rounding, because the sum is not coming out correct even though I am getting the correct records.    I think it's making the .95, .9, .8 etc as 1.
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@aashton here is the measure which will do it:

Job Posting Count = 
COUNTROWS ( JobPosting ) + 
CALCULATE ( 
    COUNTROWS ( JobPosting ), 
    REMOVEFILTERS ( Location ), 
    KEEPFILTERS ( JobPosting[Location_Identifier] = "NULL" ) 
)

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@aashton so you want to keep the location identifier which is null regardless of what you filter on location table, correct?

Yes correct

Thank you, but the FTEStatus per job does not always equal 1, it could be .5, .8.  So the total rows does not always equal the total FTEStatus.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@aashton can you share sample data and how these tables are related and the expected output? 

Job Posting table:

Location_IdentifierRTRFTEStatus
NULLJR33911
NULLJR33941
NULLJR33951
NULLJR33961
NULLJR33971
NULLJR33981
NULLJR33991
NULLJR34131
NULLJR34141
NULLJR34151
NULLJR34161
NULLJR34181
AA185971
AAJR16961
CT110262161
CT110273931
CT110273941
CT1102JR17721
CT1102JR34781
CT1138JR20091
 Total FTEStatus20

Location Table

Location_IdentifierTotal Staffing ModelNew/Existing
CT110220Existing
CT113850New
Total Staffing Model70 

If I want to filter on New/Existing, and only include Existing, I will remove CT1138 and the 50 from the Total Staffing Model, and the Job Posting for CT1138 of 1 for a total of 19 FTEStatus.   But when I filter on only existing, it also removes those 12 that do not exist in the Location table.  I do not want to remove these 12 from the total FTEStatus.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.