Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Powerbi report builder: using parameters for DataSourceName in RDL

Hi All,

We are currently building paginated reports using powerbi reports builder with oracle database as the datasource. For each report we are creating an individual RDL file. At our customer's side we are having 3 different oracle database servers(DEV, UAT and PROD). We have to rebuild the RDL files everytime we need to fetch data from a different database and we are trying to figure out a way to avoid this.

We tried modifying the RDL file manually to get the datasource name from one of the parameter values but it didnt work. We also tried writing a custom function to change the datasource name based on a parameter value and that didnt help us too. We are publishing the report into app.powerbi.com where an on-premises gateway is setup and 3 different datasources are created in the gateway, in order to swith from DEV to UAT for example we have to rebuild the report with the UAT datasource name and then publish the report to view the data.

Can someone please let us know on how can this be achieved?

3 REPLIES 3
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

I didn't find any videos or documents that use parameters to modify the data source. So I doubt if this is possible.

The following document may help you:

sql server - Can I change the datasource after a ssrs report is created? - Stack Overflow

Did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.
If not, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Janey

Anonymous
Not applicable

We tried update datasource, update parameters and search & replace options in pipeline options unfortunately nothing worked. Can you please suggest any alternatives. The RDL files are currently present in Azure repo and we are trying to deploy them through pipeline into the power bi application

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous you need to use deployment pipelines, Support for paginated reports in deployment pipelines - Power Platform Release Plan | Microsoft Docs

Follow us on LinkedIn

Learn about conditional formatting at Microsoft Reactor

My latest blog post The Power of Using Calculation Groups with Inactive Relationships (Part 1) (perytus.com) I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.