Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

ddddddcccccc
Frequent Visitor

PowerBI Waterfall Charts showing incorrect value when compared to matrix table

Hi all,

Weird one here. We use Waterfall charts in PowerBI to show the variance in budgets vs actuals, However, when in the Waterfall visual, the total budget or actual value is incorrect. However, when I switch the waterfall visual to a table, the values come out correct. I have tried everything from remaking the graphs, restarting/updating PowerBI, but can't seem to find an explanation for this. Any help would be appreciated!!

Please see images below.

ddddddcccccc_0-1718317357829.png

correct values of 125k for budget and 74k for actuals.

However, when I convert this into a simple waterfall visual, the numbers come out like this:

ddddddcccccc_1-1718317415263.png

Thank you again for any help!

Cheers,

D

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jtian-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,@ddddddcccccc 
I am glad to help you.

According to your description, you find that the data is displayed incorrectly when you use waterfall charts to display the data, but correctly when the data is displayed as a graph.

Waterfall charts display totals that change as values are added or subtracted from Power BI, so they are particularly sensitive to the structure of the data and the logic of the calculations.

It is therefore particularly sensitive to the structure of the data and the logic of the calculations.

I've provided some suggestions below that you can use to troubleshoot possible problems

1.Check your data model

Check that the relationships between the tables involved in the fields you have put into the waterfall diagram are correct (this is less likely, as the information you have provided is correct when displayed in table visual).

2.Check the written DAX code

Dax Code (such as calculate column & measure) will change the result according to the current calculation environment.

If the fields you put into the waterfall chart are these customized formulas, please double-check the calculation environment of the formulas and check whether the results are incorrect due to the change of the filter conditions.

3.Check Filters

Please check whether the results of your fields are affected by other unnecessary filters (e.g. slicers created or measures with filter conditions).

According to the information provided, you are not displaying waterfall charts and specific information about the fields displayed in the table, e.g. whether they are normal columns or custom DAX codes (calculate column / measure).

If possible, please provide more information about the non-sensitive fields and the type of fields (more details about how to calculate or get budget and actual values in the dataset), and if you can provide a .pbix file that does not contain sensitive data, zhejiang would be very helpful in solving your problem.
like this:

vjtianmsft_0-1718332750033.png

If not necessary, you can also try to use other similar icons instead of waterfall charts to display the data or use some simple similar data to re-display as waterfall charts to check if similar data is not correct.

I hope my suggestions give you good ideas, if you have any more questions, please clarify in a follow-up reply.

Best Regards,

Carson Jian,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-jtian-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,@ddddddcccccc 
I am glad to help you.

According to your description, you find that the data is displayed incorrectly when you use waterfall charts to display the data, but correctly when the data is displayed as a graph.

Waterfall charts display totals that change as values are added or subtracted from Power BI, so they are particularly sensitive to the structure of the data and the logic of the calculations.

It is therefore particularly sensitive to the structure of the data and the logic of the calculations.

I've provided some suggestions below that you can use to troubleshoot possible problems

1.Check your data model

Check that the relationships between the tables involved in the fields you have put into the waterfall diagram are correct (this is less likely, as the information you have provided is correct when displayed in table visual).

2.Check the written DAX code

Dax Code (such as calculate column & measure) will change the result according to the current calculation environment.

If the fields you put into the waterfall chart are these customized formulas, please double-check the calculation environment of the formulas and check whether the results are incorrect due to the change of the filter conditions.

3.Check Filters

Please check whether the results of your fields are affected by other unnecessary filters (e.g. slicers created or measures with filter conditions).

According to the information provided, you are not displaying waterfall charts and specific information about the fields displayed in the table, e.g. whether they are normal columns or custom DAX codes (calculate column / measure).

If possible, please provide more information about the non-sensitive fields and the type of fields (more details about how to calculate or get budget and actual values in the dataset), and if you can provide a .pbix file that does not contain sensitive data, zhejiang would be very helpful in solving your problem.
like this:

vjtianmsft_0-1718332750033.png

If not necessary, you can also try to use other similar icons instead of waterfall charts to display the data or use some simple similar data to re-display as waterfall charts to check if similar data is not correct.

I hope my suggestions give you good ideas, if you have any more questions, please clarify in a follow-up reply.

Best Regards,

Carson Jian,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Carson,

Thank you for your reply. I did attempt all your solutions, however they did not offer a fix. I did however find another workaround, so there is no need to send you a PBIX copy for future use.

For reference, I think the problem did lie in the relationships between the budget and actual data files I had and the relationship with the bridge table I had. I ended up just removing the filter from the waterfall and added visual specific filters, doing two seperate DAX calculations for the actual and budget, which appear to work.

Thanks again for your help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

PBI_Carousel_NL_June

Fabric Community Update - June 2024

Get the latest Fabric updates from Build 2024, key Skills Challenge voucher deadlines, top blogs, forum posts, and product ideas.

Top Solution Authors