Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

wilhelmF
Frequent Visitor

PowerBI Direct Query Connection Security

Hi, 

when I connect to my tabular models on SQL Server 2016 from PowerBI Desktop, what kind of connection is used? Is the data transferred encrypted? Which method is used? I got a question from security.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@wilhelmF

The connection is made of security context. Your current Windows credentials are used to connect to the Analysis Services server. It just connects like other client applications. There's no encryption on data transfer since you are connecting directly within same domain. For more details about SSAS connection, please see: Connection String Properties (Analysis Services)

Regards,

@v-sihou-msft thank you very much for your reply. I guess the Security Officers next question will be, is the connection then unsafe? Because when connecting to SQL Server Database one has the option to choose encrypted connection isn't there something similar for SSAS?

28-11-_2017_15-04-03.png

wilhelmF
Frequent Visitor

Hi, 

when I connect to my tabular models on SQL Server 2016 from PowerBI Desktop, what kind of connection is used? Is the data transferred encrypted? Which method is used? I got a question from security.

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.