Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bilingual
Helper V
Helper V

Power Query and Power BI from same source

Hi, i have a Power Query file which has different Excel files connected (only connection and add to datamodel), can i somehow use Power BI with the Power Query file and retain the relations and  calculated fields?

2 REPLIES 2
v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bilingual ,

What is your data source? What does a Power Query File refer to?
If you are connecting to an Excel from Power BI Desktop, you will see the data in the "Data Pane", the "Model Pane" will see the data model, when you create calculated columns, calculated tables and measures in Desktop, when you click "Transform Data", you will enter the Power Query editor, and the calculated columns, calculated tables and measures are not visible (not loaded).
If you are connecting a dataset from Power BI from Excel, calculated columns, calculated tables and measures and model relationships are visible in Power Pivot.

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Hi Neeko, 

I have two Excel files:

1. Raw data in 4 sheets.

2. An Excel Power Query file, which consolidates data from the 4 sheets and has calculated fields. The files is connected to the Raw data with "Connection only" and "Add data to model"

When i in Power BI create connection to the Power Query file , i can only import the pivoted data, not the consolidated data file with the calculated fields. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.