Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Lidou_Cand
Helper III
Helper III

Power Query Parameter

Hello , 
I hope you are well. Especially in this period of health crisis. I would like to have your help on a task. I want to make some changes to a PBI report. However the report is in error on Power BI Desktop when it tries to update the data because I do not have enough memory because of the volume of data. Would it be possible to: 1-put a filter as a parameter in PBI Desktop in order to lighten the report 2- Make my modification 3-Remove the filter in PBI Service to update all data ? Thanks for your help and take care of yourself

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Lidou_Cand 

Please extend your memory as much as possible. You can refer to this article(though the article is about PowerPivot, it should be similar with Power BI) to optimize your data model in a way that makes a better use the available memory. For another thing, if you upload the data in import model, please disable "Allow data preview to download in the background" from options / options and settings/data load. And check if it is useful.

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Lidou_Cand 

Please extend your memory as much as possible. You can refer to this article(though the article is about PowerPivot, it should be similar with Power BI) to optimize your data model in a way that makes a better use the available memory. For another thing, if you upload the data in import model, please disable "Allow data preview to download in the background" from options / options and settings/data load. And check if it is useful.

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.
rajulshah
Super User
Super User

Hello @Lidou_Cand,

You can definitely do this using Query Parameter. You can filter the date column to maybe 1 year or 6 months, do your work and can remove the 'Filter Rows' step in the Query Editor window.

Hope this helps.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.