Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Myagi-Do
Helper I
Helper I

Power Bi Desktop refresh gives different results on different laptops

A collegue shared a pbix file with me after refreshing the file. I opened it and refreshed it imediatley and some visuals don't work anymore because data types have been changed. If he refreshes the file on his laptop everything stays the same. 

Any ideas what could cause the problem?

7 REPLIES 7
v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Myagi-Do ,

1. Please check the version of Power BI Desktop first and update it to the latest version.

2. I noticed that the data source comes from SharePoint, and it needs to be connected to the data source when refreshing. Is there a requirement for credentials? And check if the regional format settings in excel and desktop are the same.

vcgaomsft_0-1647943097633.png

vcgaomsft_1-1647943143497.png

vcgaomsft_2-1647943217538.png

Or try to uncheck type detection and refresh.

vcgaomsft_3-1647943545860.png

3. Could you consider sharing some screenshots that don't contain privacy Information, or expressions that compute the sum, thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team_Gao

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data

Myagi-Do
Helper I
Helper I

Also some of the page filters are changed.

Myagi-Do
Helper I
Helper I

Turning of Time intelligence didn't help except that now some other visuals don't work.

As example I have one column in a fact table which was a decimal, formatted as a currency and calculated as a sum which became whole number, no currency and not summarized after the refresh.

Myagi-Do
Helper I
Helper I

I turned it off just now and I am refreshing.

I have a fact table called factPlanning which has a column FinancePlan. Before the refresh it was set to decimal, currency and sum. After the refresh it was set to whole number and not a currency and uncategorized.

Manually changing them back helps in some KPI's but line charts have more than one change and I still have to figure out what changed. Also some of the pahe filters have changed.

AlexanderPrime
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Where is the source data pulling from? Is it on your colleague's PC or is it a sql database?

Do any warning messages come up when you try a data refresh?

Do you have Options > Data Load > Time Intelligence > Auto Date/Time for new files turned on? If so that may be interfering and may be worth turning that off 

Please note - I am not affiliated with Microsoft, I'm just an end user like yourself.
Just a regular guy doin' Data Science.

If my post has helped you, please don't forget to thumbs up or click "Accept as solution" if it solved your problem!

We are pulling the data from Sharepoint Lists and some Excel files which are in a shared Sharepoint directory.

There are no warning messages.

Yes, we have both  Time Intelligence enabled.

Have you tried turning off Time Intelligence to see if that's interfering, 

Otherwise can you provide examples of what columns data types are changing? Does manually changing them back in Transform Data make them work again?

Please note - I am not affiliated with Microsoft, I'm just an end user like yourself.
Just a regular guy doin' Data Science.

If my post has helped you, please don't forget to thumbs up or click "Accept as solution" if it solved your problem!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.