Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

raymondpocher
Advocate III
Advocate III

Power BI Google Analytics 4 Connector

Hello Community,

Google Analytics 4 is coming and I am wondering if the native Power BI Connector can be used to pull Data from the Google API. I already have some accounts in place but cant see the properties in power bi. So I am wondering if this feature is supported or not.

Any comments on that?

20 REPLIES 20
Said_K

Hi,

Update (August 2023):

The Google Analytics connector in PowerBI now supports GA4 using the "Implementation 2.0".

Everyone using the earlier version might need to update their connection to use implementation 2.0.

See the link to the update:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/sv-se/blog/power-bi-july-2023-feature-summary/#post-24176-_Toc28901574...

Cheers!

VhayesHP
Advocate I
Advocate I

Good morning everyone - I wanted to bump this thread again to see if there were any in-built solutions for GA4 connections within PowerBI that do not require daily manual updating of code or additional budget for things like BigQuery? This should be a standard connector given how many of my clients alone are migrating to GA4 in the next 2-3 months alone.

Appreciate any guidance! My org cant be the only one trying to navigate this.

Hi @VhayesHP 

Here is a duscussion that GA4 connector is planned for release at the end of 2023. Meanwhile you may try to import GA4 data into windsor.ai account and access your GA4 data from Power BI.

windsor.ai google.png

Good morning, we are with the same inconvenience, we need the GA4 connector for our customers!

Adamboer
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Yes, it is possible to pull data from Google Analytics 4 into Power BI using the native Google Analytics connector. However, as of now, the native connector in Power BI only supports Google Analytics Universal Analytics (UA) version and does not support Google Analytics 4 (GA4) version.

To pull data from GA4 into Power BI, you can use a third-party connector like the "Google Analytics Pro" connector developed by CData Software. This connector allows you to extract data from GA4 using its API and import it into Power BI.

Alternatively, you can also export data from GA4 as a CSV file and then import it into Power BI using the "Get Data" feature in Power BI. However, this method may not be feasible if you require real-time data or have a large amount of data.

Overall, while the native Power BI connector does not currently support GA4, there are other options available for importing GA4 data into Power BI.

sambo345
Frequent Visitor

Hi if you're still looking for a solution this migth be of help - https://cooriedug.com/custom-ga4-power-bi-connector-setup/

mrnelsch
Frequent Visitor

I wrote this blog on my website that is very helpful to answer this question!

This blog explains all the ways of how Google Analytics 4 data can be connected to Power BI:

Link to blog about connecting GA4 to Power BI

(It's in dutch, so you might need to use Google Translate)

ALCR22
Regular Visitor

This is still an issue - can someone please show me how you set it up with BigQuery?

Yes, this is a big issue!

TrevLc
Advocate I
Advocate I

I would also like an update. Hopefully this comment "bumps" this thread

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Good!

Here also waiting... I manage to connect but it appears blank.

cferraz_hemav_0-1646411485502.png

I followed the indications marked above but

1/ With the first link: for the GA4-BigQuery connection to work it is necessary that the account has billing enabled, so right now it is not an option. I've managed to access one-day data... you should repeat the process every day to do so (not an option).

2/ With the second link it asks me for a viewID and with GA4 it does not exist.

The old link was ideal...

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Hello everyone.
I tell you that today I was talking to people from Microsoft support and they had no idea what I was talking about. In other words, I didn't even know that Google Analytics 4 existed. For them at the moment there is only the connector to the standard GA and they do not know when the new connection is going to be generated.
They told me they were going to find out and contacted me again.
So for the moment the only thing left to test is either use the old GA or try migrating the data to the Google Data and there make the connection. This I still did not prove, because I wanted to confirm to see if there was something simpler.

Well, any novelty I upload.

Best regards

Hey @Syndicate_Admin 
Good point, but for e.g. you want to set up a new property within GA there is no other possibility anymore to go for UA. You have to join GA 4 but this does not give you a connector for PowerBi.
Pretty **bleep**t i have to say.

Hi @_boerndt_ , it is still possible to set up UA properties actually. You need to click on 'Show advanced options' in the property setup wizard:

adamrobc1_0-1652364361544.png

thannks a lot

True. I am following a different approach now. I directly get the data from google and store them in a seperate database. Having the connector in PBI would however be ever convenient especially for quick reports or analysis. 

I hope the MS Team will follow up on that. 

😄 hehe wow. The world continious to spin around microsoft as well.

Thanks and I appreciate any progress on that

v-xulin-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @raymondpocher

Please refer the following about connect Google Analytics 4 with BigQuery, and then you can push data to Power BI.

https://www.optimizesmart.com/how-to-connect-google-analytics-4-with-bigquery/

https://www.optimizesmart.com/visualizing-google-analytics-data-via-microsoft-power-bi/

If you still have some question, please don't hesitate to let me known.‌‌

Best Regards,

Link

Is that the answer you're looking for? If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution. Really appreciate!

Thank you @v-xulin-mstf ,

I understand - thank you for those resources!

Means that one would need a BigQuery Instance. This makes it a little accessible than before. A bummer as it was very handy before to just jump into analytics without having to setup anything. 

Especially in an enterprise environment this creates a couple of hurdles as many other stakeholder need to be involved. 

raymondpocher
Advocate III
Advocate III

I dont want to push it but is there really no one here who can comment 🙂 ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.