Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

jkunkoski

Power BI Desktop Filter Multi Value Field/Column

I have two data sources from two Excel files. Both files come from SharePoint Prem 2013. One field is from a Multi Select Field in a SharePoint list so the data in each row is messy, as follow: Row1/Column1: 5G;#;API;#;6G;#, Row2/Column1: API;#;6G;#, etc. The second data source provides a cleaned up version but DOES NOT match the values 1 for 1 of the first data source (above, Column1).

The second data source is one column with one value in each cell/row, for example, Row1/Column1: 5G, Row2/Column1: 6G, etc.

I'm trying to make it so the user can select a control containing all the values from the second data source that will filter rows in the first data source where that value exists. IF selection of data source2 matches a value in datasource1, filter charts and everything in datasource1 accordingly. Can someone help? I'm brand new to Power BI

2 REPLIES 2
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@jkunkoski

You can use a measure as below. See more detail in the attached pbix.

IsShown =
VAR ROWCNT =
    COUNTROWS (
        FILTER (
            Table1,
            SEARCH ( LASTNONBLANK ( Table2[Column1], "" ), Table1[Column1], 1, 0 ) > 0
        )
    )
RETURN
    IF (
        (
            ISFILTERED ( Table2[Column1] ) && HASONEVALUE ( Table2[Column1] )
                && ROWCNT > 0
        )
            || NOT ( ISFILTERED ( Table2[Column1] ) ),
        BLANK ()
    )

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNGCapture3.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Eric, thanks for your post. I tried to get the slicer working with two or more selections at same time but I could not. I wonder if its possible to filter for instance 5G and 7G at once. Best regards, Augusto

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.