Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MarkCBB
Helper V
Helper V

Power BI Advanced Editor to Filter Column based on the PBI file name

Hi there,

I would like to know if it is possible and how, to add some "code" to the query in order to filler the column that contains the file names by using the name of the PBI name. Example, I am importing files from a folder, each of the files have names i.e. Cat.xls, Dog.xls, Mouse.xls etc.. I am creating 3 seperate PBIX files Called "Cat.pbix" "Dog.pbix" etc. I would like to filter the data by the name of the PBIX name, Possible? how?

Please help

4 REPLIES 4
Cramos
Frequent Visitor

Hi!

I have the same problem, i have 80 PBI files with the name of each deparment for each file. The deparments cant see other deparment's info, thats why i create differents files.

The point is to save the time in filter each file as well as to avoid a human mistake in the filter being made manually. If each file will filter by the name of the file it would be perfect.

Thanks

tjd
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

If all of your .xls files are in the same folder, e.g., cat.xls, dog.xls, etc. then, as you create each .pbix file, you could filter your folder files by the pbix file name you are working on.  For example, you could set the cat.pbix file to filter the folder for only the cat.xls files in the folder.  When doing a "Get data from folder", one of the first things you see instead of transactions is a list of files in the folder and their properties.  You can then filter a particular column and/or create new columns to use for filtering to select the list of folders that apply to the particular pbix you are building.  For a more detailed explanation, I would refer you to the book "M Is For (Data) Monkey", Chapter 4.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Your best bet would be to use the Advanced Editor to write "M" code but not sure you have access to the name of the PBIX file from M. You could use an Enter Data query to enter the name of the PBIX file and then potentially do something there.

I am missing the reason for this requirement, is it because you have more than 3 files involved here? I don't see the time savings versus just configuring each file. Then again, why not just import all of the data into a single file as separate tables? I feel like I am missing some requirements here.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @MarkCBB

I didn't wee M Langage function in Power Query, which does what you want (i.e. getting the pbix filename). 

Here is something which can be a workaround, you build you business model just as you want for the analysis you want. 

You add a table with the enter data feature : This create an artificial table source with data you can enter. In the column you enter the filter you want to use (i.e "cat", "dog", ...).

You use the merge query filter to use the artificial table as a query filter (don't forget to specify that it will be a inner join). Choose the field corresponding to the merging condition, and the data should be filter with Power Query.

Hope it will answer your needs

Sebastien

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.