Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

daveedd
Helper II
Helper II

Paginated Reports - Matrix - Switch values to rows

Hey all,

I'm trying to make a simple table in Power Bi Report Builder for a Paginated report.

I usually build this in Desktop as a matrix, with Year and Month in the columns, 3 values which I switch to rows (see below)

Can this be achieved in Paginated reports, or do the dates have to be vertical?

Screenshot 2024-02-01 at 16.35.03.png

5 REPLIES 5
v-yifanw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @daveedd ,
The matrix in a paged report is similar to a pivot table. It allows you to display summaries of aggregated data grouped by rows and columns. You can use the Date field as a hierarchical structure in the matrix rows. Place your values in the Values area. To display data by month, you can drill down to the month level. The matrix will automatically organize the data horizontally and vertically based on your groupings.

I recommend you to read this article to know more about it:

Tables, matrixes, and lists in Power BI Report Builder - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Ada Wang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yifanw-msft ,

So I think you're saying no it's not possible?

For the table I'm trying to create I only have Column and Values.  No Rows.  And I'm looking for the Switch values to rows feature that exists in Desktop.

Hi @daveedd ,

The “Unpivot Columns” feature in Power BI Desktop allows you to switch values from columns to rows. This feature can be found in the “Transform” tab of the Power Query Editor. To use this feature, first select the columns you want to unpivot, then click on the “Unpivot Columns” button in the “Any Column” section of the “Transform” tab. This will transform the selected columns into rows, with the column headers becoming values in a new “Attribute” column and the values in the selected columns becoming values in a new “Value” column.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly - Microsoft Fabric Community

If it does not help, please provide more details with your desired out put and pbix file without privacy information.

Best Regards,

Ada Wang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yifanw-msft  did you have anymore thoughts on this one?

Hi @v-yifanw-msft Unless I'm misunderstanding I don't think that's applicable as I'm not using Power BI Desktop, I'm using Power BI Report builder.  

The question is does the Matrix visual feature "Switch values to rows" exist in Power BI Report Builder?

Helpful resources

Announcements
July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

July Newsletter

Fabric Community Update - July 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.