Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Paulx99
Helper IV
Helper IV

PBI Desktop Alerts and Notifications

Hi All

Does anyone know if PBI Desktop can generate alerts and notifications based on DAX logic, including calculated columns and measures ?

Cheers

Paul

6 REPLIES 6
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi Paul,

Based on my understanding, when you type the DAX in Power BI Desktop, if there is something wrong within the DAX, you want to get some notification or alerts about this error, right?

In Power BI desktop, the DAX editor includes suggestions, a feature used to create syntactically correct formulas by helping us select the correct elements. Generally, if there is something wrong in DAX, the error will display like below:

q2.PNG

Reference:

DAX basics in Power BI Desktop

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Qiuyun

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for your reply, but unfortunately, what you've mentioned below is not what I am talking about. What I want to be able to do is to visually highlight exceptions that result from conditional statements. Please refer to my reply to eno1978.

Regards

Paul

@Paulx99 Can you describe this a bit more?.. Alerts and notifications on a device, like outside the desktop file. Or are you talking about visually highlighting certain elements in a visual conditionally?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hi Eno1978

Thanks for your reply and sorry for the lateness of mine. What I'm trying to do is to visually highlight exceptions that result from conditional statements. A simple example - I calculate profit:

profit = [sale price] - [cost price]

Then, I create a conditional statement to identify a profit, loss or break even situation:

profit desc = IF([profit]>0, "profit", IF([profit]<0,"loss", IF([profit]=0,"break even")))

What I want to be able to do is visually highlight (create an automatic highlighted alert for, in the data view), profit desc if 

profit desc = loss

Something like ALERT if profit_desc = "loss"

would be great !

Paul

Hi @Paulx99,

We are not able to configure alerts or notifications in Power BI Desktop currently. For this issue, please submit a idea in Power BI Idea forum.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Ok thanks for letting me know. would be great if it could be done !

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.