Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

operator
Frequent Visitor

New table / query based on existing query

Hi, still new to Power BI migrating from Power Query.

In Power Query we have the capability to use existing query / table and build new query / table. But it doesn't seem to work in Power BI: I can't refer to an earlier query when adding a new source. In new table, I don't know what to type to get it. 

The goal is to unpviot a few columns but not the rest, which is needed for other reporting purposes.

Thanks in advance.

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
pqian
Employee
Employee

@operator, PowerBI Desktop uses PowerQuery internally, so the capabilities are almost identical (Save a few Excel related features)

You can refer to another query by their name, for example, starting from a Blank Query, type

= Query1

that will refer to an existing query called "Query1"

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
abond
Frequent Visitor

I believe a problem I'm having is very similar to that of the original poster, however the proposed solution does not quite solve my problem. 

Let's say my original table is loaded into the Query Editor with columns:  | ID | A | B | C | X | Y | Z |

I would like to create a 2nd table with only columns: | ID | X | Y | Z |
(perhaps by duplicating the entire 1st table and then deleting unnecessary columns | A | B | C | )

I would then like the 1st table to end up with only columns: | ID | A | B | C |
(i.e. simply deleting columns | X | Y | Z | ).  Therein lies the problem:  this deletion of columns in the 1st table must happen AFTER the 2nd table has been created.

Suggestions?

MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

Yes, create a third query.

Additionally you may want to uncheck "Enable Load" for your first table that has all columns.

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

I believe you're recommending that I load the data twice from the source, and that is what I'm doing currently, but it's inefficient and undesirable due to the volume of data.

My ideal solution would involve loading the data once then duplicating within the Query Editor. 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Look into the create calculated tables: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/guided-learning/powerbi-learning-2-6-create-calculated-tables/

It looks like the functions being used are referred to as DAX functions. A quick google search for DAX functions brings you to Microsoft's library of DAX functions. I think you want a filter function like allexcept(): https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee634795.aspx

pqian
Employee
Employee

@operator, PowerBI Desktop uses PowerQuery internally, so the capabilities are almost identical (Save a few Excel related features)

You can refer to another query by their name, for example, starting from a Blank Query, type

= Query1

that will refer to an existing query called "Query1"

Thanks @pqian! Another dumb question: if the earlier query has space, how do I refer it?

@operator You can qualify identifiers by using the #"" escape

e.g.,

=#"Query 1"

emoroz
Frequent Visitor

Source=#"Query Name"

How do I make the query name a variable based on a cell selection? 

Below TemplateType is the name of query loaded into table. The custom function loads that query into another query. I want to do the same thing except I don't want the data to be loaded into a table. 

Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name=TemplateType]}[Content]

BTW, if you right click on "Query1", you can pick "Reference Query" from the context menu to do exactly this

Lovely! That's even easier! Gee I should've asked earlier here than finding the solution for many hours in Google.

Thanks again for your help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.