Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

New column in table that is result of SQL Server function ran with parameter from same table.

So I have a Table/Query set up, and I need to add some information to that table, with a new column.

I can't calculate the result with DAX, so I created a function in my SQL Server.

Visualized with simple tables:

Table Bookings: (Role Booker is the one who booked the room, role Guest is someone joining him)

[Booking_ID]   [Person_ID]    [Name]    [Hotel_ID]    [(New Column)County]        [Role] 

1234                1               Andrew          1                         County1                 Guest

1234                2               Mark              1                         County1                 Booker

Now, County is stored on Person, but only on the one who has the role of "Booker" fills out their county.

So person with ID = 1 does not have a county. But I can use "Booking_ID" to get the county.

So, is there a way for me to say that the value of X column, is the result of a function with a single parameter from the samle table?

Sorry if this is unclear, let me know if you have any questions.

The thing is, there is a bizzarre relationship between the tables.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. Ok, let's assume you have merge the table with person_id in order to get the country like this:

countryFillProblemcountryFillProblem

You have your data for the bookers only but you want it too for the guests on the same booking id.

Then reorder the data ascending by Booking_Id and Role:

= Table.Sort(#"LastStep",{{"Booking_ID", Order.Ascending},{"Role", Order.Ascending}})

After this you will be able to Fill Down the country column with data.

FillDownCountryFillDownCountry

There you have your result.

Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. Ok, let's assume you have merge the table with person_id in order to get the country like this:

countryFillProblemcountryFillProblem

You have your data for the bookers only but you want it too for the guests on the same booking id.

Then reorder the data ascending by Booking_Id and Role:

= Table.Sort(#"LastStep",{{"Booking_ID", Order.Ascending},{"Role", Order.Ascending}})

After this you will be able to Fill Down the country column with data.

FillDownCountryFillDownCountry

There you have your result.

Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello!

Thank you for the reponse!
I have already found another solution, quite similar to yours. 
I created a merged table of Person and Booking, and then used the data exporer to filter out all null values until I was left with only two columns (Booking_ID and Country), then I merged this "lookup table" with the table I actually needed it in.

It might be a worse solution than yours, so I'll look into implementing your solution.

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors