Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

pvgadvogados
Frequent Visitor

New column based on calculations between from same and others tables

I have 3 tables and I need to create a column in the last table with some conditions:

TABLE 1

Date Exchange

ID_EXCHANGE

Exchange Rates

25/04/2017

25/04/2017

26/04/2017

26/04/2017

27/04/2017

27/04/2017

TABLE 2

ID_EXCHANGE

ID_CURRENCY

U

E

R

TABLE 3

Date Sales

Value

ID_CURRENCY

NEW COLUMN - FINAL VALUE

26/04/2017

U

26/04/2017

E

26/04/2017

R

A) The final value must be the result of the multiplication of the VALUE by the EXCHANGE RATE on the same day of the sale for that currency.

B) IF in table 3 the ID_CURRENCY is "R", the result of the new column (FINAL VALUE) will be the same as in the VALUE column.

Can you help me, please?

4 REPLIES 4
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @pvgadvogados,

You can refer to below formula to create a calculated column [Final Value] in Table3.

Final Value =
IF (
    Table3[ID_CURRENCY] = "R",
    Table3[Value],
    Table3[Value]
        * LOOKUPVALUE (
            Table1[Exchange Rates],
            Table1[ID_EXCHANGE], LOOKUPVALUE ( Table2[ID_EXCHANGE], Table2[ID_CURRENCY], Table3[ID_CURRENCY] ),
            Table1[Date Exchange], Table3[Date Sales]
        )
)

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yulgu-msft

LOOKUPVALUE is compatible with Direct Query?

I can't use... 

tela powerbi.PNG

Hi @pvgadvogados,

Sorry, I don't know you were using Direct Query. LOOKUPVALUE is not a supported function in Direct Query mode.

In order to achieve your requirement, I think you can merge tables in Query Editor as suggested by dkay84 PowerBI.

1.PNG2.PNG

At last, you only need to expand the merged table and remove some unnecessary columns.

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I'm sure a DAX ninja will solve this more elegantly than I have, but I used the query editor to do a few joins to get the appropriate exchange rate based on date and currency type, then added a custom column for the conditional math.

Here is the M code (for tables 1 just add the code after the "Source" or "Changed Type" line, as my data was hard coded based on your example):

// Table1
let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMtE3MtU3MjA0V9JRMgRiYz0jU6VYHVQJI7CEMUzcDFWDKYY4RL2hEUzCHFWDBYY4VIOlUmwsAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Date Exchange" = _t, ID_Exchange = _t, #"Exchange Rates" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date Exchange", type date}, {"ID_Exchange", Int64.Type}, {"Exchange Rates", type number}}),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Changed Type",{"ID_Exchange"},Table2,{"ID_Exchange"},"NewColumn",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded NewColumn" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "NewColumn", {"ID_Currency"}, {"ID_Currency"})
in
    #"Expanded NewColumn"

// Final Value
let
    Source = Table.NestedJoin(Table3,{"Date Sales", "ID_Currency"},Table1,{"Date Exchange", "ID_Currency"},"NewColumn",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded NewColumn" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Source, "NewColumn", {"Exchange Rates"}, {"Exchange Rates"}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded NewColumn", "Final Value", each if [ID_Currency] <> "R" then [Value]*[Exchange Rates] else [Value])
in
    #"Added Custom"

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.