Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

newyorker
Helper I
Helper I

Month on Month calculation for weekly average of a month

newyorker_0-1698817735250.png

Hi team, 

I have a 4-5-4 financial calendar where I have a different number of weeks each month. I am trying to compare monthly performance, and I cannot use the sum as each month has a different number of months, therefore I have calculated the weekly average of a month by dividing the monthly total by the number of weeks. 

However, I am having a bit of trouble calculating Month on Month of that average value as I cannot use DATEADD. Looking for advice, many thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
v-junyant-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @newyorker ,

The following DAX might work for you:

MonthlySum = 
CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]), ALLEXCEPT('Table', 'Table'[Month]))
AveragePerWeek = 
[MonthlySum] / DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[Week])

And the final output is shown in the following figure:

vjunyantmsft_0-1698891427741.png

Best Regards,

Dino Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

audreygerred
Super User
Super User

Hello! I suggest adding in a date table (below I have a link to my blog post about a date reference table which has a link to the SQLBI one I love using - it accomodates regular calendar, fiscal, and fiscal weekly so perfectly handles 4-5-4/4-4-5 and makes doing time intelligence a breeze). If you do not have a full date field in your date you can join on that, if you do not you can create a date utilizing the fields you already have. Then....

To handle the average you want, use the AVERAGEX function like below:

Avg = AVERAGEX('Table','Table'[Value])

Avg MoM% would be:
Avg MoM% =
VAR __PREV_MONTH = CALCULATE([Avg], DATEADD('Date'[Date], -1, MONTH))
RETURN
    DIVIDE([Avg] - __PREV_MONTH, __PREV_MONTH)

Here is what I get when I use the above:

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi @audreygerred this is exactly what I need, would you mind terribly sharing the PBIX? Many thanks in advance.

Hi! I didn't save the example I created, with your data from your screenshot, but if you're taking about the pbix that has the date table I love using, you can download that from here. https://www.sqlbi.com/tools/dax-date-template/ 

If you need any help setting it up or doing the join to your fact table let me know. Once you have it in place and joined you can create the two measures I provided. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Uzi2019
Super User
Super User

Hi @newyorker 
Can you please share the raw data??

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.