Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

GabrielSantos
Resolver I
Resolver I

Minute Datediff with date and time in separate columns

Hey all,

For compression purposes, I have split a datetime value into both a date and a time value on the fact table. However, I am struggling with the concept of performing a datediff between any two given fact records given the fact that I would first have to reconstruct the value as a datetime.

My data structure is as follows:

Three column table:

IndividualKey ,

[Activity Start Date] ,

[Activity Start Time]

If I wanted to find the number of minutes between a person's first and last activity, how would that be accomplished in DAX?

4 REPLIES 4
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

I think you combine the date and time field.

new column = format(Activity date,"mm/dd/yyyy ") & format(Activity Time," HH:mi:ss")

And create a new column using date datediff to get difference in Minutes

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/datediff-function-dax

kentyler
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Does their activity cross over days ?

Often in these kinds of situations it helps to have a Time table with all the minutes for a day, just like people often have a date table for dates. You can have a column in the time table that tells the minute in the day...an integer number that increases for every minute.

You can use the minute of the day number to do easy math to get total minutes and then divide that to get hours if you want.

Did this post answer your question? Mark it as a solution so others can find it!

Help when you know. Ask when you don't!