Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Pricey79
Helper V
Helper V

Merge tables when direct query

Hello, I was hoping someone could help me please?

I have been given access to a  dataset that contains multiple tables, and it comes through in Direct Query, so I dont see these in Power Query. Is there a way for me to merge these tables please?

Thank you 

2 REPLIES 2
jupsimar
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi , you can still merge tables in Power BI when using DirectQuery mode. However, the process is a bit different than when using Import mode.

When using DirectQuery mode, merging of tables is done through relationships between the tables in your data source. 

Create a relationship between tables in DirectQuery mode:

1. In the Manage Relationships dialog box, click the "New" button.
  2. Select the first table you want to relate to another table from the dropdown list.
  3. Select the column in the first table that you want to use as the relationship key.
  4. Select the second table that you want to relate to the first table.
  5. Select the column in the second table that you want to use as the relationship key.
  6. Click "OK" to save the relationship.

Keep in mind that when using DirectQuery mode, some features in Power BI, such as certain types of calculations and transformations, may not be available or may be limited. Additionally, the performance of your report may be impacted by the size and complexity of your data source.

Let me know if this was helpful ! Thanks

@jupsimar Thank you for your reply . I've tried the above but when I select the the frist table , all the other direct query tables are not an option in the second dropdown ?

I have three tables that all have a completed date field, I need to put these into a filter to keep all data on one page to "This Year"

I hope that extra info helps?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.