Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Funk-E-Guy
Helper II
Helper II

Measure works at line level, but returns wrong total - Contexts are in separate tables

Hi everyone, I have a similar but distinct issue from this post; Measure works at line level but returns wrong result on total , the difference being their issue appears consolidated to one table, so therefore the provided SUMX works on the one table. Mine, however, has its data segregated into 6 different tables, and the "context" of my calculations are in 3 of those tables (in bold underline)

• Customers
  • Locations
  • Items
  • Dates
  • Forecasts
  • Sales

These tables are all related to each other like so:

FunkEGuy_1-1713289810226.png

I then have my data in measures;

• FCST QTY = CALCULATE(SUM(Forecasts[Quantity]))
  • Sales QTY = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Quantity]))
  • FCST Discrepancy = [FCST QTY]-[Sales QTY]
  • FCST Overage = -min([FCST Discrepancy], blank())
  • FCST Shortage = max([FCST Discrepancy], blank())

I am then trying to create a matrix showing:

• heirarchical rows for Customer/Location/Item
  • Columns with Month
  • Values are my measures

FunkEGuy_2-1713290064997.png

Per my screenshot above, I am expecting the "FCST Overage" and "FCST Shortage" measures to sum up the values calculated at the line-level based on my heirarchy of rows (Customer / Location / Item), but they are simply using the totals row. And as clarification; I do not want the date included in my calculation context (so that we can look at overages/shortages Monthly/Quarterly, Yearly, etc).

Here's my test model: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xxp8l_27BVKWtoJh5KsDmJkN1OSLarZX/view?usp=sharing

5 REPLIES 5
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

I don't have the volume to test but you could try  a HASONEVALUE with an IF statement so that the SUMMARIZECOLUMNS is only done on the totals row and the [FCST overage]

measure on the 'ordinary' rows

I figured out the formula, however it appears that it's still affected by the volume issue (at least in my case), so I will need to go a different route it seems.

For thoroughness and documentation, here's the formula I created;

FCST Overage 2 = 
if(
  not(
    or(
      or(
        HASONEVALUE(Customers[Customer ID]), 
        HASONEVALUE(Locations[Location ID])
      ), HASONEVALUE(Items[Item ID])
    )
  ), 
  SUMX(
    SUMMARIZECOLUMNS(
      Customers[Customer ID], 
      Locations[Location ID], 
      Items[Item ID]
    ), 
    -min([FCST QTY]-[Sales QTY],blank())
  ), 
  [FCST Overage]
)

As explanation, in order to capture whether or not the row is a grand total, we have to NOR (not-or) the three separate HASONEVALUE functions. If NOR returns TRUE (all 3 columns have more than 1 value), then I SUMX, otherwise use the cheap measure. 

Unfortunately in my case that doesn't seem to move the needle. I think even just calculating it once is too heavy. It's turning a 5,000×50×20,000×500 computation into a 5,000×50×20,000×1 computation.

HASONEVALUE only seems to accept one column, so how would you recommend I draft that IF statement considering I have 3 separate tables to reference as context?

I've tried this; but the totals are still showing the same incorrect value.

FCST Overage = 
if(
  and(
    and(
      HASONEVALUE(Customers[Customer ID]), 
      HASONEVALUE(Locations[Location ID])
    ), 
    HASONEVALUE(Items[Item ID])
  ), 
  SUMX(
    SUMMARIZECOLUMNS(Customers[Customer ID], Locations[Location ID], Items[Item ID]), [FCST Shortage]
  ), 
  [FCST Overage]
)

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

My preferred method for these issues is to iterate over the rows involved.  Sometimes it gets more complicated to get the correct granularity, so for this, I think you have to create a measure like:

SUMX ( SUMMARIZECOLUMNS (  Customers[Customer Name], Locations[Location Name] , Items[Item Name]), [FCST Overage])

the other one will be similar.

Also, I don't think you need the CALCULATE on 2 of the base measures. (FCST QTY, Sales QTY )

Thanks for the reply. I can confirm that this solution does technically work, however from what I can tell this seems to explode in computation time when I plug it into my main model. I assume it's because it's creating a virtual table of Customers × Locations × Items for every single row in my matrix (which is fine for 2×2×2×16 on the test model, but infeasible for 5,000×50×20,000×5,000).

Is there a way to optimize this for larger data sets?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.