Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

daweedle
Regular Visitor

Maximum of measure aggregated dynamically at different date hierarchy levels

Hi community, I have an interesting problem that I'm not able to find a solution for anywhere here:

• I have a measure calculating the sum of a value, let's say [measure] = SUM([value])
  • I am putting this measure on the y-axis of a bar chart, where the x-axis is the date hierarchy for a date field, [date]
  • Users can drill up or expand down the x-axis date hierarchy, e.g. from quarter-level to year-level
  • I want to create a measure (or is it a column?) that will return the maximum of [measure] as displayed in the visual, meaning that it needs to be dynamic based off the date hierarchy level specified in the visual

Here is the bar chart below, with [measure] on the secondary-axis as a black line:

daweedle_0-1686070162652.png

In the above, the date hierarchy level is quarter, and at this specified level, the max of [measure] is 2, therefore I want my desired measure to return 2. In the below however, the date level is year, and here I want my desired measure to return 4.

daweedle_1-1686070249373.png

Note also that my desired measure also needs to be dynamic based off of slicer filtering - in this case, for language.

Is this possible?

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@daweedle , Based on what I got

Switch( True() ,

isinscope(Date[Date]) , [M1],

isinscope(Date[Month]) , [M2],

isinscope(Date[Qtr]) , [M3],

[M4]

)

This does not work. My desired measure needs to return the maximum at the grand total level, i.e. the maximum value of [measure] for the whole data set (with filtering).

The challenge is that I require a 2-step calculation. The 1st calculation is for [measure], which is calculated at different levels as per user-selected hierarchy level. The 2nd calculation is performed at the grand total level, to get the max value of [measure] across all values returned from the 1st calculation. Using ISINSCOPE will return a blank for the 2nd calculation since it will return FALSE at the 2nd calculation.

Another way of thinking about this problem - I basically want the following expression:

MAXX(SUMMARIZE(Table, [DateLevel], "M", [measure]), [M])

where [DateLevel] is dynamic and specified by the date level of the visual. ISINSCOPE does allow me to check the date level but only for calculations at that same level - and unfortunately not for calculating at a higher level to get the aggregate maximum.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.