Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dimani
Helper I
Helper I

Matrix - possible to sort columns other than the totals?

Hello fellow Power BI Desktop users,

Some people had asked this before and the answer was no.  I wonder if there is any new development.

We have a matrix, and we would like to sort selective columns*.  Would it be possible?

* Columns may not be totally accurate.  It is some fields in "Values" we want to sort.  I noticed that when we remove all the fields in "Columns", we will have the sort carrot symbol in each fields in "Values."

Based on my experiments, the answer is still no.  But I am still learning Power BI, so perhaps more seasoned users have better insight.

Our data source is SQL Server Analysis Services, if that would make any difference.

Thanks,

Dimani

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Dimani,

I was having the same concern and with current matrix visual it isnt possible.However you can try inforiver premium visual which will sort individual column. But its paid one if you want to publish the file for users to view it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

DataInsights
Super User
Super User

@Dimani,

This functionality is not available in the native matrix. An idea was proposed in 2016 and needs more votes:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=1513f45d-a47a-4326-adbe-8bb0023da6c8 

The Inforiver matrix does provide this functionality:

https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-US/product/power-bi-visuals/xviz.inforiver-premium?exp=ubp8&tab=O... 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hello DataInsights,

Thanks for your information.

Dimani

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.