Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DavePowerBI
Frequent Visitor

Matrix measure more than 1 value in rows

I am new to Power BI and require help please, In the below Matrix visualisation I am looking to find a way to highlight in colour or similar all the counties that have more than one name under the field ID. For example, On the screenshot i have attached Country UK will be "highlighted" because ID 212 had more than 1 name. Thank you

image001.png

8 REPLIES 8
AUaero
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Unfortunately, Power BI doesn't have a lot of capability when it comes to formatting row/column headers in a matrix visual.  You can, however, create a measure to drive conditional formatting of the value in the matrix.

I've created two measures - one to count the number of users and another to flag IDs that have multiple users.

# Count Users in ID = DISTINCTCOUNT('DataTable'[Name])
# Highlight Rule = 
IF(
    HASONEFILTER('DataTable'[ID]) && 'DataTable'[# Count Users in ID] > 1, 
)

I then applied a conditional formatting rule to highlight any IDs in the matrix that have more than one unique user:

AUaero_0-1673281696306.png

AUaero_1-1673281722160.png

This will give you the following result in the matrix visual:

AUaero_2-1673281748520.png

If this helps, please consider accepting this response as the solution for your issue.

Thank you, would you happen to have the pbiz file so i can follow and try?

Thank you for your help. I have few additional followup - I have managed to replicate your advice. How am I able to filter the matrix by the highlighted cells only for column #count users in ID? I am not able to find this option like in .xls. Also when I export the Matrix to .csv all I see is loads of  values of  1's,  Thanks

Try filtering the matrix where # Highlight Rule = 1 in the filter pane.

It seems like the filter is not working correctly with #Highlight rule, see below

image003 (1).png

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@DavePowerBI , You can not highlight the rows field using conditional formatting, you need use that in values

Example- color measure that you can use in conditional formatting using the field value option

Switch(True() ,

max(Table[Country]) = "UK", "Yellow",

max(Table[Country]) = "UK", "Green","Blue")

How to do conditional formatting by measure and apply it on pie?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqBb5eBf_I4&list=PLPaNVDMhUXGYo50Ajmr4SgSV9HIQLxc8L
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Power-BI-Conditional-formatting-the-Pie-Visual/ba-p/...
https://amitchandak.medium.com/power-bi-where-is-the-conditional-formatting-option-in-new-format-pan...3

If highlighting is not possible on Field Name, is there anything else i can use like a measure calc or similar which will show me or add a text like multi somewhere on the Matrix if there are more than 1 Field Name under ID field?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.