Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MBethK
Frequent Visitor

MS Text Filter - How to capture the text entered

Issue -

I am unable to store or capture the text that was entered in the MS Text Filter. This does not work - @KeywordSearchView = SELECTEDVALUE('A'[SearchColumn]).

MS Text Filter only supports 1 field. We can only use MS visuals at our organization.

My report requirement - have a text search box the user can enter that will search multiple columns in my table, and show a table visual of what column matched, and what the text is in that column.

As a workaround, I concatenated 2 fields , SearchColumn since the MS Text filter only allows 1 field for the search. 

I am using MS Text filter to search a concatenated column named 'SearchColumn' in Table A.

I have a measure:  @KeywordSearchView = SELECTEDVALUE('A'[SearchColumn])

If user types 'Nurse', and I have a card visual for @KeywordSearchView , the value is Blank. 

The MSText filter is successful in showing results from SearchColumn in a tablevisual that match text entered. But I cannot create a table visual with the 'IF_View_Worked' measure to see which specific column matched (ColumnA or ColumnB & their associated text). 

My table A has:

• ColumnX (text)
  • ColumnY (text) 
  • SearchColumn = 'A'[ColumnX] & " - " & 'A'[ColumnY]
IF_View_Worked =
VAR KeywordSearchView = [@KeywordSearchView]
VAR ColumnAMatch = CALCULATE(
    COUNTROWS(FILTER('A', CONTAINSSTRING('A'[ColumnX], @KeywordSearchView)))
)
VAR ColumnBMatch = CALCULATE(
    COUNTROWS(FILTER('A', CONTAINSSTRING('A'[ColumnB], @KeywordSearchView)))
)

RETURN
    IF (
        ColumnAMatch > 0 && ColumnBMatch > 0,
        "Matched Both Columns" & ":" & @KeywordSearchView,
        IF (
            ColumnAMatch > 0,
            "Column A Match: " & @KeywordSearchView,
            IF (
                ColumnBMatch > 0,
                "ColumnBMatch: " & KeywordSearchView,"No Match"
                        )
        )
    )

My Environment is Direct Query Mode which limits some of the DAX commands.

Any help is appreciated. 

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@MBethK SELECTEDVALUE won't work because it needs a single value to be returned. You could do something like DISTINCT('A'[SearchColumn]) and then use the IN operator for example.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thank you @Greg_Deckler  regarding my use of SELECTEDVALUE.

I was incorrectly trying to use SELECTEDVALUE to capture what text was entered in the MS filter so that I determine if the text matched ColumnX and/or ColumnY, which were concatenated in 'A'[SearchColumn]. 

I read your help and tried the  DISTINCT for SearchColumn plus and IN operator. I still couldn't check against what was typed/searched.
If the user types in word 'Nurse' in the MS Filter Text , how do I capture the word 'Nurse' to see if this is the ColumnX, and/or Column Y?

The result of typing 'Nurse' in the MS Text Filter will show me all 3 values in Column A, if I put column A on a table Visual. But I would only want  Nurse and Nurse aides. I get Greenhouse because the text filter uses concatenated column (SearchColumn).
I'm concatenating 2 fields to get a match because the text filter supports only 1 field, but I want to know if it matched column #1, and/or Column #2. 

ColumnAColumnB     SearchColumn (concatenated ColumnA & ColumnB)

Greenhouse        Nursery, Horticulture, Landscape     Greenhouse - Nursery, Horticulture, Landscape
NurseProfession requires University Nurse - Profession requires University 
Nurse AidesLicensed Practical NursesNurse Aides - Licensed Practical Nurses

Any additional insight is greatly appreciated .

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.