Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

djreyes
Helper I
Helper I

MAXA - not showing the largest value in a column

Hello, 

I am not really sure as to why. The computation that I have is off. Values in PowerBi is different from Excel. 

This is what I used in PowerBi: Max used = MAXA('SCM ItemsOutboundRelief_AX'[QTY negative to positive])

djreyes_0-1714252161554.png

And if you use MAX in excel this is what is showing, and its far different. 

djreyes_1-1714252199091.png

I am not really sure, what I am missing. Even if I use MAX, values are still not the same.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

pls try

maxnegative = max('Sheet1'[Sum of qty])
maxpositive = abs(min('Sheet1'[Sum of qty]))
averagepostive = abs(AVERAGE(Sheet1[Sum of qty]))

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
ryan_mayu
Super User
Super User

could you pls provide some sample data?

Its quite a lot of data though, its from 2018 to 2024. I did check it manually and excel is correct and powerbi is not. Do you want just 1 year of data?

have you checked each year's data? Do they match in excel and powerbi? if not, you can have a further investigation to check each month's data. Maybe at the end, you can pick up only one month or one week data to have a deep investigation to find the root cause. We don't need a large amount of sample data. if you can reduce it, that will be better.

I did, extracted the data from PowerBi to excel and I did check manually and the data is the same. Even the average is incorrect.

then pls provide the sample data. you can upload to onedrive

Here is the thing, the original quantity column is negative, so I needed to change that to + by creating a new column. Is that the reason as to why? Because when I use the original quantity column which is negative its showing the incorrect value as well.

Is there an option for me not to provide the data? The data is private I am sorry. I am really wondering as to why January and December have the same value in excel and powerbi but the rest of the months it doesnt.

pls try

maxnegative = max('Sheet1'[Sum of qty])
maxpositive = abs(min('Sheet1'[Sum of qty]))
averagepostive = abs(AVERAGE(Sheet1[Sum of qty]))

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.