Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

cvillegas
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Location of currently open PBIX file

This is more of a curiousity. What i'm trying to find is a way to determine the current location of the opened PBIX file. This isn't to be used for reporting or anything like that. The purpose is truly because we have legacy reports that all share the same name that we're working through and if you have two up on screen we want to know where each one is saved so we're not modifying the incorrect file. Surprisingly I can't find anywhere to get an indication of this...

- I tried the Save As which actually navigates to my Desktop every time by default when I click it.

- I tried Open which shows my last opened files, but I can tell is not showing the current file location I have open.

I know the workaround would be to open the files from Power BI. Just more curious if there is a better way to get this indication that I'm missing. Thanks all!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
cvillegas
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

I found a good way. Within Task Manager if you expand the Power BI Desktop task and add path name it appends the PBIX to the solutions you have open and you can switch to and fro between them.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
cvillegas
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

I found a good way. Within Task Manager if you expand the Power BI Desktop task and add path name it appends the PBIX to the solutions you have open and you can switch to and fro between them.

v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cvillegas 

Currently, your reports are in different position with same report names. Many times they will confuse you how to distinguish them when you open many files with same names. We can see open record in File - Open Report, but it is not a good way. Power BI doesn't support to show the file position in File Name Directly. So you can try to add the file postion manully in Report Name. Or you can change report names in different version to distinguish your pbix files. 

If you don't know where you report is, try "Save as" and give it specific report name to distinguish it.

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.