Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Brent_Hel700
Regular Visitor

Line and Stacked Column Chart - Individual Data Label Control Not working in March 2023 PBI Desktop

Line and Stacked Column Chart - Individual Data Label control seems to have stopped working properly in the March 2023 version of PBI Desktop.

On a Line and Stacked Column Chart, when I got to Format->Data labels->Show data labels (On)->Apply settings to->Series dropdown (Individual Series-level control)

Then I select an individual Series (the Line) and turn Show data labels off, it turns off ALL of the data labes for all Series at the "Data Label" level, not just the one I selected in the series dropdown. (See image below):
image2.png

6 REPLIES 6
BIanon
Resolver I
Resolver I

September 2023 version still experiencing issues with data labels in 'Line and Stacked Column Chart'. If I turn off Data Labels it is automatically turned off. I can turn off data labels for either line or bars but turning off both turns both of them back on again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am running into this same issue. I would like to only show data labels for the line. The ability to disable the bars en masse not working in any manner I've tried. Seems very buggy.

PiEye
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @Brent_Hel700 

This is interesting, but I also have March 23 version and am not experiencing the same. I am able to control which series has labels, and even the colours of each

PiEye_0-1680979988013.pngPiEye_1-1680980003838.pngPiEye_2-1680980035120.png

I have the line and stacked column chart, the same as you.

I did notice that if I have too many bars on screen, some of the labels stop showing. Does that affect you too?

Pi

Yes. If I have to many categories to slice by they stop showing as well.

@PiEye  @Brent_Hel700 

with your example, what would happen if you only want labels on the line?

I ran into a similar problem when I wanted to select labels for the line but not categories OR subcategories of the columns, but when I wanted to select Line OR Column the only options were the various subcategories.

I hope that makes sense.

sample pbix: Contoso - test chart.pbix

Hi Grantsamborn,

Wow! Thank you for the example I see what you mean now. 

So we can only make it work by going into every individual category and changing the option for each single one.

PiEye_1-1681111928810.pngPiEye_0-1681111895565.png

I'm wondering why Microsoft took the decision to design it like that - I'm guessing they went for configurability. But it's not a very efficient way to do it, and what if the categories change??

Workaround / solution....

I have managed to find a workaround. Basically, I set the format to the bar measure [Sales] to format as "nothing"

To do this, go into the data model, select the measure you need to remove and change to a custom format, which is blank

PiEye_2-1681112618583.png

This will remove the number from displaying in the chart.  NB the measure will also disappear from anything else you are using, so it is probably a good idea to duplicate it first:

PiEye_3-1681112771864.png

Pi

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.