Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

katto16
Helper I
Helper I

Line Chart changing to dots

I have this line chart that shows the trend of the top 5 descriptions (Top N, of the count of description) within the span of past 3months, which I set the date filter to Relative date -> 3 calendar months. The date hierachy is Year, Quarter and Month. It looks something like this.

Screenshot 2023-05-29 154926.png

However, on the following day, it will automatically change back to vertical dots unless, I change the date to date, then change back to date hierarchy, and remove Day as I wanted. Then it'll go back to the lines. It has been this way for a few days. I'm not sure what the problem is. 

Screenshot 2023-05-29 154853.png

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @katto16 

I would recommend you to use a custom dates table and create relationship with other tables.

You can use below DAX to create a custom calendar table

Calendar= 
ADDCOLUMNS(
    CALENDARAUTO(),
    "Month No", MONTH([Date]),
    "Month Name", FORMAT([Date], "mmm"),
    "Year", YEAR([Date]),
    "Date Sort", FORMAT([Date],"YYYYMM")
)

Dont forget to sort the month name with month number. otherwise it will sort by alphabatically.

Hope this solve your issue 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
VijayP
Super User
Super User

@katto16 

in the first visual the x axis showing quarter and in the second one x axis is year 

This is due to the use of date hierarchy in the x axis. Avoid using heirarchy instead use the required value alone in the x axis. to get rid of auto time intelligence 
file -> options and settings-> options -> current file - > DAta load -> time intelligence (uncheck)

Try using date dimension instead of using native date columns from the data

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
MY Blog || My YouTube Channel || Connect with me on Linkedin || My Latest Data Story - Ageing Analysis

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi @VijayP Thanks for the input.

When I unchecked the time intelligence, the date hierarchy isn't available anymore. I need the hierarchy as I need to see the data by months instead of dates. I have two other pages that have the same settings with this and they don't seem to have this problem, meaning they stay as lines permanantly. 

katto16_0-1685424840807.png

@katto16  As suggested by @vk_pbi  you must have  date dimension which is connected to your data model and then you need to use that table for date hierarchy!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
MY Blog || My YouTube Channel || Connect with me on Linkedin || My Latest Data Story - Ageing Analysis

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi @katto16 

I would recommend you to use a custom dates table and create relationship with other tables.

You can use below DAX to create a custom calendar table

Calendar= 
ADDCOLUMNS(
    CALENDARAUTO(),
    "Month No", MONTH([Date]),
    "Month Name", FORMAT([Date], "mmm"),
    "Year", YEAR([Date]),
    "Date Sort", FORMAT([Date],"YYYYMM")
)

Dont forget to sort the month name with month number. otherwise it will sort by alphabatically.

Hope this solve your issue 

I managed to create the date table smoothly. Thanks for the code. I will just wait and see if the problem persists tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.