Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

katto16
Helper I
Helper I

Line Chart changing to dots

I have this line chart that shows the trend of the top 5 descriptions (Top N, of the count of description) within the span of past 3months, which I set the date filter to Relative date -> 3 calendar months. The date hierachy is Year, Quarter and Month. It looks something like this.

Screenshot 2023-05-29 154926.png

However, on the following day, it will automatically change back to vertical dots unless, I change the date to date, then change back to date hierarchy, and remove Day as I wanted. Then it'll go back to the lines. It has been this way for a few days. I'm not sure what the problem is. 

Screenshot 2023-05-29 154853.png

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @katto16 

I would recommend you to use a custom dates table and create relationship with other tables.

You can use below DAX to create a custom calendar table

Calendar= 
ADDCOLUMNS(
    CALENDARAUTO(),
    "Month No", MONTH([Date]),
    "Month Name", FORMAT([Date], "mmm"),
    "Year", YEAR([Date]),
    "Date Sort", FORMAT([Date],"YYYYMM")
)

Dont forget to sort the month name with month number. otherwise it will sort by alphabatically.

Hope this solve your issue 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
VijayP
Super User
Super User

@katto16 

in the first visual the x axis showing quarter and in the second one x axis is year 

This is due to the use of date hierarchy in the x axis. Avoid using heirarchy instead use the required value alone in the x axis. to get rid of auto time intelligence 
file -> options and settings-> options -> current file - > DAta load -> time intelligence (uncheck)

Try using date dimension instead of using native date columns from the data

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
MY Blog || My YouTube Channel || Connect with me on Linkedin || My Latest Data Story - Ageing Analysis

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi @VijayP Thanks for the input.

When I unchecked the time intelligence, the date hierarchy isn't available anymore. I need the hierarchy as I need to see the data by months instead of dates. I have two other pages that have the same settings with this and they don't seem to have this problem, meaning they stay as lines permanantly. 

katto16_0-1685424840807.png

@katto16  As suggested by @vk_pbi  you must have  date dimension which is connected to your data model and then you need to use that table for date hierarchy!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
MY Blog || My YouTube Channel || Connect with me on Linkedin || My Latest Data Story - Ageing Analysis

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi @katto16 

I would recommend you to use a custom dates table and create relationship with other tables.

You can use below DAX to create a custom calendar table

Calendar= 
ADDCOLUMNS(
    CALENDARAUTO(),
    "Month No", MONTH([Date]),
    "Month Name", FORMAT([Date], "mmm"),
    "Year", YEAR([Date]),
    "Date Sort", FORMAT([Date],"YYYYMM")
)

Dont forget to sort the month name with month number. otherwise it will sort by alphabatically.

Hope this solve your issue 

I managed to create the date table smoothly. Thanks for the code. I will just wait and see if the problem persists tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.