Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

elkjoperik
Helper II
Helper II

Issues with refresh data with an excel file (Power BI Desktop)

Hi,

So I've made a report in Power BI where the Source is a excel file.

I've tried to set the source to Onedrive Business, local (c:\) but with no success. When i make the report, the refresh data works completely fine, but the day after I load the file and click refresh, an error occours and the file is not updated with the new data;

refresh2.PNG

I sent the a frown, and got the message that it's a documentet error and will be fixed in a future release. However, I need to update this report, so I just cant wait until "forever". Any smart solutions to this issue?

Regards Erik

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
elkjoperik
Helper II
Helper II

After trying a lot of things I found the error:

A coulm which was marked as date cause the  error. When i changed the coulm to whole number, the data refresh went OK. So one strange bug with Power BI

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
elkjoperik
Helper II
Helper II

After trying a lot of things I found the error:

A coulm which was marked as date cause the  error. When i changed the coulm to whole number, the data refresh went OK. So one strange bug with Power BI

What is the format of your Excel Doc?  is it XLSX or something earlier?  If it is a document error, then maybe changing the document format will help.  I have had some problems with file formats in the past and the problems have been fixed in time.  But the quick solution for me was to change the file format.

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Hi!

I've tested out:

- XLSM (the format I setup the report with in the first place).

- XLSX

- XLSX

I'm using Excel 2013.

Which format did you change to, Matt?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.