Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GregWebbPCG

Issues with missing data

Morning All,

(New to Power BI, with some beginner experience in Excel and VBA programming)

Currently building various SharePoint lists to manage data on which I am required to report, and started to use Power BI to report from multiple sources (lists) in the same report. However, Have noted a difference in data availability depending on whether i Visualise or Export data from SharePoint lists or build from scratch in desktop Power BI.

I have one list that has caused the issue and will try to explain as clearly as possible below..

List & columns are mainly single or multi lines of text, but some columns require user to select either single or multiple choices.

One column causing problems is "Responsible Directors", in which the option is to select one or more named individual from a list of options. 

When I visualise the data, the column "Responsible Directors" clearly shows the option(s) chosen, but when i export the list to Power BI the "Responsible Directors" column is empty. Then, when I try and build the report from scratch, connecting to SharePoint list the fields for £responsible Director" display "[List]". 

This is confusing me as I have other data fields based on "Choices" which show fully and clearly regardless of whether I Export/Visualise from SharePoint list or build from scratch in Desktop Power BI. 

Any help much appreciated.

Thank you

Greg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @GregWebbPCG ,

Can you try to re-import the data and check in Power Query if all the data is loaded, is some of the data missing?

I have also found similar posts, please refer to.

Solved: Missing Data - Microsoft Power BI Community

Solved: Missing data from model - Microsoft Power BI Community

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

If it does not help, please provide more details .

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Rongtie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
JulieBABI
Regular Visitor

Hi,
I've run into this issue with People-type data in SharePoint lists:  the value is in the form of [List] which is a nested structured value. If you click in the empty area of the cell and look below, you'll see the set of records contained in the list.  The need is to extract, for each row, the record(s) you want by drilling into the list.  The Goodly YouTube channel offers great instruction to learn about lists and records and how to work with them.  After absorbing those videos and the blog posts below, I successfully used the following formula:

= try Text.Combine(PreviousStep, List.Transform([ColumnName], each Text.From(_[title]?))) otherwise ""  //   where title is the value of the second record, one of five, that I wanted to extract.

See:  

https://www.myonlinetraininghub.com/extracting-data-from-lists-and-records-in-power-query

Dynamically Expanding All Columns with Power Query - BI Elite

JaTh

Facing the same bug. Person related data is somehow missing in the exported Power BI dataset. Unfortunately, the suggested posts didn't help. 😕 Does anyone have a solution?

v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @GregWebbPCG ,

Can you try to re-import the data and check in Power Query if all the data is loaded, is some of the data missing?

I have also found similar posts, please refer to.

Solved: Missing Data - Microsoft Power BI Community

Solved: Missing data from model - Microsoft Power BI Community

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

If it does not help, please provide more details .

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Rongtie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.