Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ah_saaah01
Helper I
Helper I

Is there anyway to create some sort of group of columns, not by rows?

Hi experts, I hope someone has insights into this issue. 

Most of the grouping and data process happens to row level, but I have a data table that runs say columns A to Z, each column is a option and contents over 1000 rows, and not all columns are used in every project, I have data table and tooltips created with the active options only for a specific project, every project I seems need to manually adjust tool tips and name tables legend to avoid showing those are not used in a particular project. 

How can I group or activate only the selected columns of data? I could transfer column A to Z to a list and choose which ones are used. Still, I can't create the link between rows and columns...... or can I automatically generate a new table and remove columns that are not used automatically? Anyone have a good solution to this kind of issues? 

5 REPLIES 5
Ah_saaah01
Helper I
Helper I

Thank you IBendin, Filed Parameters would still require manual add selection of columns, I hope to automate the process, columns A-Z are selected by a table like below, and each project would have different columns activated, and the chosen few cases would include only activated columns and some criteria based on a combination of those activated columns. 

Item       Active 

Col A         yes

Col B         yes

Col C         no

Col D         yes

iled Parameters would still require manual add selection of columns

Not necessarily. The column combinations can also come from a lookup table.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Field Parameters to the rescue.  They allow you to let your users decide which columns to show.

Can you elaborate a bit more on this? How should I use Table A row data to create the relationship with columns in Table B.  For example, I have created a table for tooltip to show a list of only active column results, it is a table where every time I need to manually filter the value field to show only active columns. I would hope somehow to create a group of columns/parameters to be able to filter the value based on chosen columns.  Can I? 

Let's say, Table A like 

Item       Active 

Col A         yes

Col B         yes

Col C         no

Col D         yes

Table B is the master data. 

Col A... Col ZZ

Ah_saaah01_0-1681300876604.png

Please provide sanitized sample data that fully covers your issue.
Please show the expected outcome based on the sample data you provided.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.