Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

renoyzac

In a live connection, can i delay the data load until all my slicers are selected?

My dashboard is on a live connection. It has some 12 slicers that users can select, but the data it too huge and every slicer selection takes ~5 mins to load the data. So if i've to select 12 slicers that 12 * 5 = 60 mins to load. 
Is there a way where i can delay the refresh till all my slicers are selected? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

yes you can use query reduction, in the options and settings of power bi you can set the slicers to use an apply button so once all your selection is made, you can change it to use apply for each slicer or one button for all

vanessafvg_0-1665744071899.png

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

yes you can use query reduction, in the options and settings of power bi you can set the slicers to use an apply button so once all your selection is made, you can change it to use apply for each slicer or one button for all

vanessafvg_0-1665744071899.png

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

So in my case, out of my 12 i select on 4 slicers. i'll have to click 4 Apply buttons right? won't that be the same thing? 

yes correct.  are you are able to move them to the filer pane at all? then there is one apply button.  I guess you need to balance the user experience to performance.  It looks like there is no perfect solution here.  There might be other ways of managing the issue though by optimising your source for better performance.  For example using materialized views if you have a database on the back end.  Those sorts of things if that is possible and it makes sense to do.

hmmm got it. Well it's a troubleshooting dashboard so i need all the slicers for the stakeholders to play around with the data. And yes we're trying to improve the backend server performance. This is a temporary situation for now. Thanks for your help though, at least i can get this implemented. 

in retrospect (because i have never used this function before), i just tested it, and in fact yes each slicer gets an apply button for flexiblity but you can make muliple selections before clicking the apply, so you can make your selections and then when you make your last slicer selection, when you click on that slicers apply  and it will apply all the slicers you changed

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.