Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Import PBIDS file into existing report

Hello all!

I've created a .pbids file which works just fine. I can double click it and it opens a new report for me with an overview of my Databricks SQL databases. However, I can't seem to find functionality in Power BI to "import" this pbids file into an already existing report. I need to be able to easily import the connection data in the pbids file into the reports I am working on.

How can I do that? Is it at all possible?

4 REPLIES 4
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @CSnoek ,

Glad that your problem has been solved, please mark the correct reply as the standard answer to help the other members find it more quickly.Thanks in advance for your kind cooperation!

Hope it helps,

Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

CSnoek

OK, it seems I was able to answer my own question anyhow.

I looked into the PBIDS files with a text editor and noticed the connection in both cases was a URL.

I then generated a new report connecting to the URLs instead of using the PBIDS files.
Now I just have to make the whole to resemble a decent report 😉

CSnoek

Dear @v-xiaoyan-msft ,

I am having the exact same problem as @Anonymous and I am afraid I am not really understanding your answer in this case.

I can understand that a PBIDS file can have only 1 data source in 1 file, but in a report I can specify multiple datasources and it would stand to reason that in my new report, I am allowed to load multiple PBIDS files.

That is however something I am struggling with for a while now.

Can you please tell me where I am missing the relation in this case.

The link you provided describes how to create an use the PBIDS, but that is not what I am looking for in this case.

Kind regards,

Corné

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

PBIDS files are Power BI Desktop files that have a specific structure, and they have a .PBIDS extension to identify it is a Power BI data source file.

You can create a PBIDS file to streamline the Get Data experience for new or beginner report creators in your organization. If you create the PBIDS file from existing reports, it's easier for beginning report authors to build new reports from the same data.

When an author opens a PBIDS file, Power BI Desktop opens and prompts the user for credentials to authenticate and connect to the data source that's specified in the file. The Navigation dialog box appears, and the user must select the tables from that data source to load into the model. Users may also need to select the database(s) and connection mode if none was specified in the PBIDS file.

From that point forward, the user can begin building visualizations or select Recent Sources to load a new set of tables into the model.

Currently, PBIDS files only support a single data source in one file. Specifying more than one data source results in an error.

For more information,please refer to:Using PBIDS files to get data 

Hope it helps,

Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.