Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

patricPBI
Helper I
Helper I

Implement new data in existing Data Model / Build relationship

Hi Everyone,  

I have a problem with implementing new data from the data reports into my Power Bi model.  

I used to have one center table which connected all my other data tables: 

Account Group: 

EMEA 

North America 

Asia 

Now, I have to implement some newly formed Sub-Groups (which are already in the data tables, however not yet in the center table, as I would like to be able to filter on the Sub-Groups on all pages). 

Account Group: 

Sub Group: 

EMEA 

Central Europe 

EMEA 

UK & Middle East 

EMEA 

Southwestern Europe 

EMEA 

Northern Europe 

North America 

North America 

Asia 

APAC 

I already tried to: 

• add the Sub Group into the center table, however, the error occurs that the existing relationships fail due to duplicates (multiple EMEA's) 
  • set up another center table for the Sub Groups only, however, I get the error that the new relationship would introduce ambiguity between my old relationships 
  • merge them together in one center table through a conditional column, however, the filtering does not work at all then 

As I would like to filter on all pages of my Power Bi report, I want to keep the Account Group center table. Is there a way to 'plug' the new data table into the existing center table without any errors occurring? (seems for me to be the easiest solution) 

Or is there a way to set up two center tables which connect all other data tables and lets me filter on the two different groups? 

Are there any other approaches or suggestions?  

I would appreciate any help.  

Thanks in advance.  

Best regards, 
Patric

2 REPLIES 2
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @patricPBI 

If the above posts help, please kindly mark it as a answer to help others find it more quickly. thanks!

If not, please kindly elaborate more.

You can upload the dummy pbix to the onedrive for business and share the link here. please don't forget to disclose the expected results and remove the confidential info.

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

@patricPBI 
Assuming the Sub Group field is on your data tables you should be able to

1. Remove the existing connections between your Center table and the data tables.
  2. Add the Sub Group column to the Center table.
  3. Join the Center table to the data tables using the Sub Group.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.