Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lmilley
Frequent Visitor

I would like two versions of the same table

I usually work with horizontal or flat files so the data is mostly in columns. This time I brought data in that is row based so each row has only one measure. This works for some of the visualizations I want to do but sometimes not. Can I create a copy of my row based table that moves all the values into columns except for say the date field and one other and then use that version for some of the visualizations in the same desktop report? I want the file to behave like this: when I refresh the data, it refreshes the source data (and any transformations) and then I can manually our automatically refresh the horizontal version which is also a power query of sorts that has created this second table? 

Broader context: I usually don't have the need for FACT and DIMENSION tables and have not been fussed with that. If there is an efficient way to use row based data going forward I will consider it. I would gladly read up on it if anyone has some really good practical sources with examples and not just theory. 

thanks in advance!! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
CoreyP
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Posting some example data would be helpful, but based on what you said, in Power Query you can right click your table and select duplicate. This will create a 2nd query which is a copy of your table. Then you can transform it however you like. Typically, transforming rows to columns or vice versa is done with pivot and unpivot transformations.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
CoreyP
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Posting some example data would be helpful, but based on what you said, in Power Query you can right click your table and select duplicate. This will create a 2nd query which is a copy of your table. Then you can transform it however you like. Typically, transforming rows to columns or vice versa is done with pivot and unpivot transformations.

Thank you so muchl I will try that. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.