Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GDSHAW
Advocate I
Advocate I

I want Export data of matrix visual in matrix form not in tabular form.

I am using matix visual, with fields ( Row = Member name, column = Date and value = Spent hours ) and i am getting the data  in matrix format perfectly (in power BI desktop/ services). But when I export the same to excel, I get it in tabular form. Is it possible to get the excel file in the same format as showing in power bi desktop/services( matrix form).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @GDSHAW,

In Power BI, Export Data feature is used for exporting data, without keeping visual format in .CSV file currently. You can take a look at this article: Export data from Power BI visualizations.

To work around the issue temporarily, you can use @MattAllington's suggestion to create a PowerPivot table in Excel. Or you can use PowerBI Tiles add-in in the Excel to get matrix visual. See: Integrating Power BI Tiles into Office documents.

Besides, I found there is a same feature request posted in Power BI Idea forum, you can vote and comment on it: Allow Table and Matrix Data Exports to Match PowerBI Visual.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

32 REPLIES 32
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @GDSHAW,

In Power BI, Export Data feature is used for exporting data, without keeping visual format in .CSV file currently. You can take a look at this article: Export data from Power BI visualizations.

To work around the issue temporarily, you can use @MattAllington's suggestion to create a PowerPivot table in Excel. Or you can use PowerBI Tiles add-in in the Excel to get matrix visual. See: Integrating Power BI Tiles into Office documents.

Besides, I found there is a same feature request posted in Power BI Idea forum, you can vote and comment on it: Allow Table and Matrix Data Exports to Match PowerBI Visual.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Qiuyun, 

I couldn't the add-in powerbi tiles add-in , under the office store. Let me know if this is been removed or renamed?

not what i expected

making a pivot out of averages (calculated in PBI) make an average of averages instead of average of everything.. if it makes sence

Could we get a new tag in this community? Something like "reported as solved but there is no way to make the requested functionality work, however if you do the work in another tool you can still reach your goal".

It is a bit to frequent in this specific forum to find "solved" meaning "it has been answered and there is no working solution, which is for this question considered solved". In other places, solved means "the requested functionality could be produced". 

It would be good if the distinction between that kind of solved, and this kind of solved could be made clear already in the tagging, so we do not have to read all articles t understand no one was able to produce the requested behaviour.

This is not a solution. You might be exporting the 'summarized data', but you still have all the details. I'm looking at a table with 5 columns and about 30 rows in PowerBI, but the export contains all data (just filtered on columns and rows). Not fun to redo a summarized view based on a few tens of thousands of rows again.

Extracting a table, just at it looks like in PowerBi cannot be that hard right?

I m clearly interested by such features.

It s a waste of time to format a new pivot table in xls when everything is done in power BI

Anonymous
Not applicable

this feature seems to be unmature, I tried to export to CSV the matrix as seen in PI but it exports all hiearchy levels, did someone found how to solve it?

Anonymous
Not applicable

What happened to this? It seems like you still cannot export a matrix table to excel and keep the visual intact. This is absolutely embarassing and very frustrating.

I agree! It does not make sense that a complex beautiful matrix/table/... can be shown in PowerBI, but that you need to redo quite some modelling when you export to excel.

I get this is the case for some complex visuals, but even a simply table cannot be exported as such. Doing certain manipulations completely in PowerBI is not always very efficient (and you need more rights to the sourcefile). And creating a pivot is fine, but for very large datasets, you are draining time and resources, for computations that were already done.

I agree! It does not make sense that a complex beautiful matrix/table/... can be shown in PowerBI, but that you need to redo quite some modelling when you export to excel.

I get this is the case for some complex visuals, but even a simply table cannot be exported as such. Doing certain manipulations completely in PowerBI is not always very efficient (and you need more rights to the sourcefile). And creating a pivot is fine, but for very large datasets, you are draining time and resources, for computations that were already done.

Yes, this export feature seems a bit immature. Can you throw a pivot table over it in Excel?

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors