Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Marty46

How to sort imported data from Excel

Hello,

I'm trying to load data exported from another softawre into Power BI. The data source is an excel spreadsheet where there is a list of workplaces and their ratios. The problem is that the workstations are not in columns next to each other, but on the next row.

For a better idea here is a picture. How to get all the workplaces to be next to each other in the columns.

Marty46_0-1716201866161.png

Thank you for help

7 REPLIES 7
danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @Marty46 ,

Your table isnt in the ideal format for consumption. The workplace columns should be in a single column with a separate row for each distinct workspace and the distinct values in ratio columns should have their own separate columns, something like below:

danextian_0-1716203781352.png

The workplaces columns are to be unpivoted while the Pivot column is to be pivoted. I've attached a sample pbix for your reference.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

Thank you Danextian,

Lets say that I am going to delete the line "Ratios" and then I need to have all Workplaces in row as per picture. Once the data are in this pattern I will be able to transpose them.

Marty46_0-1716204517428.png

Removing the ratio row will remove the headers. How would you identify then which workplace is which?

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

I will nominate the Workplaces as a header. As you can see at the picture I have a list of Wokplaces (300, 310, 320 - till last one 505) Each of those workplace has two ratios (Total Strokes and Total Parts). If woule be possible to somehow move all Workplaces to be next to each I woul be able to work woth the later on in visuals. Thank you

Marty46_0-1716215286268.png

@Marty46 ,

Do you need this?

Arul_0-1716206199372.png

LinkedIn

Arul
Super User
Super User

@Marty46 ,

Do you need as per the image? (or) Is it a sample data?

LinkedIn

Hi Arul,

you can take them as sample ones. Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.