Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

justindoh
Frequent Visitor

How to show filter on dashboard

I am new to Power BI.

I came from Tableau background, and I am trying to find a way to have a filter located within Dashboard.

I searched online for help, but I am not finding a solution.

For Report, filter stays within Filter pane.

What about Dashboard?

Is there a way to show filter?

Thanks.

Justin

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@justindoh , In a report(one that is created on desktop) you can add slicer from visualization)

https://data-flair.training/blogs/power-bi-slicer/

You also have filter pane.

In the power bi service, you can create a dashbaord. In the dashboard, you can only have a slicer if you put the complete report on a dashbaord.

View solution in original post

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @justindoh 

unlike reports in the service Dahsboards do not support filters, check out the difference

aj1973_0-1617915725797.png

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

@justindoh 

Yes and no, it depends on how many reports you would like to combine. Combining too many reports is not a good approach. you can also use Bookmarks and Drillthrough to navigate between pages inside one report. Check out my report here

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiMmFhYWVlMDUtYTk3My00Y2U2LTgwMWEtZDQwNjAyNmQwNjc5IiwidCI6IjgzN...

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

5 REPLIES 5
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @justindoh 

unlike reports in the service Dahsboards do not support filters, check out the difference

aj1973_0-1617915725797.png

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

@aj1973 

Thank you for your help.

So, it is better to put slicer/slicers into one report with other visuals rather than trying to combine multiple reports with slicer(s), correct?

I guess I am not sure the difference between Report and Dashboard is. All got mixed up.

I thought Dashboard is the final product with filters (like in Tableau), but it appears that Report is more user friendly (with slicers). Am I correct, or no?

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

@justindoh 

Yes and no, it depends on how many reports you would like to combine. Combining too many reports is not a good approach. you can also use Bookmarks and Drillthrough to navigate between pages inside one report. Check out my report here

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiMmFhYWVlMDUtYTk3My00Y2U2LTgwMWEtZDQwNjAyNmQwNjc5IiwidCI6IjgzN...

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

justindoh
Frequent Visitor

@amitchandak

Thanks for your support.

So, I was able to add a slicer into a report where it has 4 visuals (1 slicer and 3 other visuals without slicer) all together. 

My initial approach was creating each report separately and PIN them, and also I was trying trying to pin the slicer (that was my first logic). But, I guess Power PI was not developed that way.

My next questions are:

1) In order to use slicer/slicers, do other visuals have to stay within a same report all the time?

Is there way for multiple reports (I guess I need to pin) to be used in dashboard with separate visuals in different reports?

2) What is best practice as far as slicing data (one slicer/multiple slicers/Filers pane)?

Thanks.

Justin

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@justindoh , In a report(one that is created on desktop) you can add slicer from visualization)

https://data-flair.training/blogs/power-bi-slicer/

You also have filter pane.

In the power bi service, you can create a dashbaord. In the dashboard, you can only have a slicer if you put the complete report on a dashbaord.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.