Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

designertechno
Frequent Visitor

How to set row criteria for Table.Min

Im using power query to lookup the min of TableA values for a custom column in TableB. I want to use criteria to only get the min value for each project, not the whole table. The value P1 should come from the current row of TableB.

How to do this? Seems like we need a MinX for Power Query. 

= Table.Min(TableA, "MinStartDate", "ProjectName" = "P1")

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Rfranca
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Hi, @designertechno

switch Table.Min by Table.MinN

see example...

let

Employees = Table.FromRecords(

{[Name="Bill", Level="P1", Salary=100000],
[Name="Barb", Level="P2", Salary=150000],
[Name="Andrew", Level="P3", Salary=85000],
[Name="Nikki", Level="P4", Salary=75000],
[Name="Margo", Level="P5", Salary=45000],
[Name="Jeff", Level="P6", Salary=200000]},

type table [
Name = text,
Level = number,
Salary = number
])

in

Table.MinN(Employees, "Salary", each [Level] ="P1")

View solution in original post

Ah, Ive reread your reply from the first time round just now with a little more focus and it's exactly what I needed, thanks.
I missed the "each" in the criteria the first time through and so thought it was something I had already tried.

"each" provides the row context i was looking for.

Thanks for your patience.

UPDATE:

Actually no this doesn't work. I was looking at the wrong record. This just create a Record column on Table B, but every record is linked to "Project A". It ignores the Project of the current row. In the end Ive just gon with an left outer join and pared back the unneccesary columns.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

What you could try is creating a table that has the min and max for each project by using a group by, then use this resulting table for your criteria and pass each row of this into a function that will create the data you need. 

If you wanted to get a single result of an entire table (different to what you want but an idea of patterns to use) and pass this to a function, then the code below demonstrates doing this and passing the result to a custom function.

let

minDate=Record.Field(Table.Min(#"factTable","factDate"),"factDate"),

maxDate=Record.Field(Table.Max(#"factTable","factDate"),"factDate"),

source=fnCreateCalendar(null,minDate,maxDate)

in

source

Rfranca
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Hi, @designertechno

switch Table.Min by Table.MinN

see example...

let

Employees = Table.FromRecords(

{[Name="Bill", Level="P1", Salary=100000],
[Name="Barb", Level="P2", Salary=150000],
[Name="Andrew", Level="P3", Salary=85000],
[Name="Nikki", Level="P4", Salary=75000],
[Name="Margo", Level="P5", Salary=45000],
[Name="Jeff", Level="P6", Salary=200000]},

type table [
Name = text,
Level = number,
Salary = number
])

in

Table.MinN(Employees, "Salary", each [Level] ="P1")

How are you setting the value "P1" though? Its a literal as written, whereas what I need is for it to look up the current Project Name of the current row in Table B.

So if P1 is a parameters then it can have a value of "Project A", Project B", etc depending on the row it is being evaluated against.

Ah, Ive reread your reply from the first time round just now with a little more focus and it's exactly what I needed, thanks.
I missed the "each" in the criteria the first time through and so thought it was something I had already tried.

"each" provides the row context i was looking for.

Thanks for your patience.

UPDATE:

Actually no this doesn't work. I was looking at the wrong record. This just create a Record column on Table B, but every record is linked to "Project A". It ignores the Project of the current row. In the end Ive just gon with an left outer join and pared back the unneccesary columns.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.