Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Rookarumba
Helper III
Helper III

How to prevent PowerBI export to excel, change my data type from text to number

Dear All 🙂

Not too sure if there is a solution for this but my users and I are experiencing this issue when we export data onto excel.

I formatted the column to be Text but when export onto excel/csv, it get converted into number and this causes some issues as we're products information that either start or end with '0'.

And this happened on both PBIRS and PowerBI Desktop version.

Appreciate any help in this

5 REPLIES 5
Kris2x5
Advocate II
Advocate II

What worked for me was exporting the file from PowerBI. Then opening a blank Excel file and choosing to Import "From Text/CSV." Through the import process, change Data Type Detection to "Do not detect data types". One thing to note is that when I did this, the column headers became a separate row, so I used the Query Editor to promote the headers again. 

Example.png

ashrin
Helper I
Helper I

I have the same problem, I use this for now : https://convertio.co/csv-xlsx/

@ashrin Thanks for the suggestion but my organization have strict data policy so I doubt we can use that 😞

I can always create a PowerQuery n index the .csv and transform it as Text but let hope my users know how to use it then 😞

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Rookarumba,

This might be caused by the automatic conversion by Excel.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Import-or-export-text-txt-or-csv-files-5250ac4c-663c-47ce-9...

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-chuncz-msft,

Sorry for the late reply, i'm aware that Excel will change it automatically.

& if i change the file to .csv, then the data type is fine but is there a better way to do it as the users who are not good with Excel and won't know how to use PowerQuery to open the file and convert it to Text.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.