Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

lbrumer
Regular Visitor

How to pass the date parameters in PQ Query?

Please let me know if the following future is available in Power BI:

Dynamically pass date as parameter to stored procedure.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @lbrumer,

With the Query Parameters feature, we can define one or multiple parameters to be used in the queries, Data Model and report layers in Power BI Desktop.

For example, to pass the date parameters in PQ Query, you can create a new Query Parameter of Date, then use this date parameter to filter your corresponding date column in the Query like below. For more details about POWER BI DESKTOP QUERY PARAMETERS, you can refer to this article. Smiley Happy

dateparameter.PNG

let
    Source = Sql.Databases(""),
    AdventureWorksDW2012 = Source{[Name="AdventureWorksDW2012"]}[Data],
    dbo_DimDate = AdventureWorksDW2012{[Schema="dbo",Item="DimDate"]}[Data],
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(dbo_DimDate, each [FullDateAlternateKey] > DateParameter)
in
    #"Filtered Rows"

Regards

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @lbrumer,

With the Query Parameters feature, we can define one or multiple parameters to be used in the queries, Data Model and report layers in Power BI Desktop.

For example, to pass the date parameters in PQ Query, you can create a new Query Parameter of Date, then use this date parameter to filter your corresponding date column in the Query like below. For more details about POWER BI DESKTOP QUERY PARAMETERS, you can refer to this article. Smiley Happy

dateparameter.PNG

let
    Source = Sql.Databases(""),
    AdventureWorksDW2012 = Source{[Name="AdventureWorksDW2012"]}[Data],
    dbo_DimDate = AdventureWorksDW2012{[Schema="dbo",Item="DimDate"]}[Data],
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(dbo_DimDate, each [FullDateAlternateKey] > DateParameter)
in
    #"Filtered Rows"

Regards

Hi,

I am getting data from an API that has two parameters like below in the URL:

Param1930=2021-01-01&Param1931=2030-12-31&format=JSON

These are the start and end dates of the report that I have manully set up in the API URL. But, how do I make it dynamic so that eveyday that I refresh the data in Power BI connect to the API and pull the latest data? My current M code is something like below:

let
Source = Json.Document(File.Contents("C:\Users\Ali\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE\EHD7MHFN\1120")),
#"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(Source, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
#"Expanded Column1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Column1", {"txtProvider",
"txtIncidentNo",
"FltDate",
"LogTime")

I have tried to apply your solution but when I replaced Param1930 and Param1931 in the custime query, I get an error saying that there is no such param in the source which is correct as you could see in above. Those params are initially in the API URL that I get the data but now the source has been changed to my own directory.  

Hello,

Is there a way to give the user the ability to choose the date instead of hard coding it?

Regards.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.