Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Pbiuserr
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

How to make intelligent filters - crossfiltering each other

Hello,

As in graph, I got one fact table and quite few referential ones - My goal to achieve is to let one filter (lets say Country) filter a city within this country, so if someone select Ref_Country = Germany, he or she has only german cities, german brands and german products available for him or her. So all filters crossfilter each other. Is this achieveable? How?

Pbiuserr_0-1658412977945.png

5 REPLIES 5
SpartaBI
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Pbiuserr it is achievable. 
The wrong way will be to use bi directional relationship. 
The right way will be to use a measure dedicated for filtering the slicers.
I'm sharing here a video you will be happy to watch:
https://www.sqlbi.com/tv/syncing-slicers-in-power-bi/

And in any way you should make the city and country to 1 table and also the product and brand to 1 table and not like the photo you shared.

2022-05-19 17_30_22-Re_ Need help on DAX function with measure vs colu... - Microsoft Power BI Commu.png

Full-Logo11.png

SpartaBI_3-1652115470761.png   SpartaBI_1-1652115142093.png   SpartaBI_2-1652115154505.png

Showcase Report – Contoso By SpartaBI

Hi,
It was just for the picture, for the clarity - in reality the filters are not tied to each other like City and Country, but I would not put there medical terms.
Anyway if I put them into 2 tables instead of 4, I will still need to apply the method from video, right?

@Pbiuserr ok then 🙂 that's good news 🙂
So just watch the video 🙂

James-Harpin
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

@Pbiuserr 

You can try using cross filter direction as 'both' in the properties of your relationships in the data modelling tab

JamesHarpin_1-1658413199271.png

I was thinking about it initially. Will it work if there is no connection between lets say Ref_City and Ref_Product? Will choosing city "London" make only products available in London?

Does it have impact on calculations or not? or heavy impact on report performance?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.