Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

user35131
Helper III
Helper III

How to group by latest date but within creating table process with multiple variables?

I would like to subset the largest date column from each group(id)

IDDate
14/10/2020
14/17/2020
14/29/2020
25/17/2020
212/17/2020

My out come should look like this

IDDate
14/29/2020
212/17/2020

Normally the way I would do this is using this line of Code
Date = CALCULATE(MAX(Table[date]),ALLEXCEPT(Table,Table[id]))

However I am doing this within a create table box with multiple variables. At a certain point its harder to reference the column names and I get stuck.

Var table2 =

DISTINCT(SELECTCOLUMNS( CALCULATETABLE('Table',

FILTER('Table’,NOT('Table’ [Col1]) IN {"Subset1","Subset2”

),

FILTER('Table,'Table[Col2] IN

{"Subset1","Subset2","Subset3",}

),

FILTER('Table,'Table'[Date]>=DATE(YEAR(MAX('Table'[Date]))-1,MONTH(MAX('Table'[ Date])),DAY(MAX('Table'[Date])))

))

,"Col1",'Table'[Col1],"Col2",'Table'[Date],"Col3", 'Table'[Col3]

))

var table3 =

SELECTCOLUMNS(table,"ID",[Col1],"Date",[Date])

Return table3

This returns the table shown above. However I want to select and filter by the max date for each id or if easier create a long column that pulls the largest date for each line based on group.

note that I'm trying to get the columns from table3 and not original table. How do i go about this? 

I tried doing this 

var table4 = 

SELECT

SELECTCOLUMNS(table3,"ID",[ID],"date",[date],"Max Date",CALCULATE(MAX([_date]),ALLEXCEPT(table3,[id])))

Also note disregard if it doesn't truly make sense. I've done my best to replicate the code to get it to what it is without showing the subset names of the data i'm using. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@user35131 , You are suing date then it will not reduce the table

filter(SELECTCOLUMNS(table3,"ID",[ID],"date",[date],"Max Date",CALCULATE(MAX([_date]),ALLEXCEPT(table3,[id])))

[Date] =[Max Date])

or

Summarize(Table, Table[ID] , "Date" , Max(Table[Date]) )

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
user35131
Helper III
Helper III

The problem in both scripts is that it doesn't pick up on the column name within functions. I'm able to add ID and Date in select columns as a stand alone. Note where its bold i'm having trouble.

filter(SELECTCOLUMNS(table3,"ID",[ID],"date",[date],"Max Date",CALCULATE(MAX([_date]),ALLEXCEPT(table3,[id])))

I found that instead of Summarize(Table, Table[ID] , "Date" , Max(Table[Date]) ) working

that its better to do table 3 as the funneled table and then in the max add the original table not of a variable. I got the result i wanted. Thanky you. 

Summarize(Table3, Table3[ID] , "Date" , Max(Table[Date]) )

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@user35131 , You are suing date then it will not reduce the table

[Date] =[Max Date])

or

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.