Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to do a calculation in the total row

Hi 

Totally new to BI so everything is new to me. I have this report that I have created:

russelln1_1-1661254877595.png

The 4 boxes in the centre below the white box display the totals for each column, which the system generates automatically.
Is there a way to display an Average figure automatically instead of a sum? So it adds them all up and then divide by 33 (that's the number of lines I'm reporting on). I.e. the first box is displaying 2959.63%, divide it by 33 and this will give me 89.69% which is the figure that I require to be displayed.

As I say I am new and a bit green.

Appreciate your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ToddChitt
Super User
Super User

Simple answer: Change the Aggregation in the Visual Setting from Sum to Average.

BUT, If the number you are aggregating is already a percentage, then it is usually NOT a good idea to show the "Average of the Percentage." Suppose you sell 500,000 of widget A at $1 each, and that average is $1. but you also sold 1 of widget B at $10. Your data may indicate that you have TWO averages, one per Widget type: $1 and $10. The Average of those two averages is $5.50 ($11 divided by 2). But the TRUE average is 500,010 divided by 500,001. To calculate that, you need the SUM of the Sales and the COUNT of Sales, and create a MEASURE that does that math with a DIVIDE statement.

Si

Did I answer your question? If so, mark my post as a solution. Also consider helping someone else in the forums!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response - Yes I know the math it's just how I apply that in to BI. Which, if I'm reading you right, is by creating a measure. Cool, I appreciate the direction.

Yes, a simple MEASURE.

And by the way, that MEASURE calculation will still exist at every sub-slice of data in that table, so if you slice/filter it by Product, or Date, or Customer, the calculation will only act on the rows of the slice, right down to a single row. 

You actually have to work hard to make your measure calculations look at something other than the current slice/context.

Please mark replie as Solved if appropriate.

Thanks

Did I answer your question? If so, mark my post as a solution. Also consider helping someone else in the forums!

ToddChitt
Super User
Super User

Simple answer: Change the Aggregation in the Visual Setting from Sum to Average.

BUT, If the number you are aggregating is already a percentage, then it is usually NOT a good idea to show the "Average of the Percentage." Suppose you sell 500,000 of widget A at $1 each, and that average is $1. but you also sold 1 of widget B at $10. Your data may indicate that you have TWO averages, one per Widget type: $1 and $10. The Average of those two averages is $5.50 ($11 divided by 2). But the TRUE average is 500,010 divided by 500,001. To calculate that, you need the SUM of the Sales and the COUNT of Sales, and create a MEASURE that does that math with a DIVIDE statement.

Si

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.