Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sumitnegi1266
Frequent Visitor

How to cumulative sum with condition

Hi,

I have below data and need to now calculate the cumulative sum of forecast value at a certain date. I have a days measure which I am adding with the date e.g. 16th Aug + 4 days = 20th Aug. I then need to calculate Cumulative sum for 20th Aug, which should be 160. How to calculate it using dax?

sumitnegi1266_0-1692195833189.png

Appreciate any help here!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kameronyork
Resolver I
Resolver I

This can be accomplished either in a measure to be used in a table,  or in a calculated column in PowerBI's Data View.  The measure, when applied to a table - with the Date column added -  will result in this:
2.png
The column added in the Data View will result in this:
1.png

Here is the code I used:
Measure

Cumulative Sum = 
VAR current_date = SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Date])
RETURN

CALCULATE( SUM('Table'[Forecast Value]), 'Table'[Date] <= current_date)
// Returns the sum for all dates less than or equal to the date on the current row.

Column

Running total = 
VAR current_date = 'Table'[Date]
RETURN

CALCULATE( SUM('Table'[Forecast Value]), ALL('Table'), 'Table'[Date] <= current_date)
// Returns the sum for all dates less than or equal to the date on the current row.

Also, If you wanted it to count up differently based on certain criteria - like when it becomes a new year - I would suggest using the column method and doing something like the following:
3.png

I hope this helps!  If it does, please mark this as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated 🙂

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
sumitnegi1266
Frequent Visitor

@kameronyork Thanks for you response. The date I am using is a calculated date which is a measure. I tried using below but got an error i.e. "Visual has exceeded the available resources"

Cumulative Calc =
var _date = [Date to hold]
return
CALCULATE( SUM('Forecast Sales'[Forecast Value]), 'Forecast Sales'[Date] <= _date)

sumitnegi1266_0-1692198478523.png

Would you be willing to provide the measure you are using for the date?  I will then do some testing to find the best solution! 🙂

@kameronyork Below is the date measure I am using. Max('Lead Times'[LeadTime]) is the number of days I am using from another table which has a relationship with current table

sumitnegi1266_0-1692199423346.png

Would you please post more information about this lead times table?  Why does the date need to be pulled from it?  This will hlep me understand the question better 🙂

kameronyork
Resolver I
Resolver I

This can be accomplished either in a measure to be used in a table,  or in a calculated column in PowerBI's Data View.  The measure, when applied to a table - with the Date column added -  will result in this:
2.png
The column added in the Data View will result in this:
1.png

Here is the code I used:
Measure

Cumulative Sum = 
VAR current_date = SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Date])
RETURN

CALCULATE( SUM('Table'[Forecast Value]), 'Table'[Date] <= current_date)

Column

Running total = 
VAR current_date = 'Table'[Date]
RETURN

CALCULATE( SUM('Table'[Forecast Value]), ALL('Table'), 'Table'[Date] <= current_date)

Also, If you wanted it to count up differently based on certain criteria - like when it becomes a new year - I would suggest using the column method and doing something like the following:
3.png

I hope this helps!  If it does, please mark this as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.