Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Izzii0x
Frequent Visitor

How to create dynamic column headers & custom conditional formatting (match an easy Excel process)

Hi all,

I am really eager to build a report I refresh regularly (now in Excel) into Power BI so I can fully automate it from data > powerpoint. 

Currently, the main hurdle is that I have simple tables in Excel that I don't know how to replicate, the problem has 2 main parts: the column headers and conditional formatting.

Column Headers

In Excel, there are always only 13 data columns for each table, the furthest right being the start of the current month (e.g., 01/10/2021), using a formula. The 12 columns then each have EDATE(column-to-right, -1) so that eventually I have a table that always contains the previous 13 rolling months as headers.

Is there any way I can do this in PBI? I am confident I can do the DAX/PQ needed to get the dates, but how do I ensure the column headers in the table (not the PQ table, but the visualisation of a table - as I will have different tables by product) relate to these dates?

Conditional Formatting

Additionally, each row of data within these tables will contain a KPI, and each row will individually have 'guardrails' of which if the KPI exceeds will show as red etc. I can add these guardrails in another table and create a relationship between them - but is there a way to have custom conditional formatting whereby the table cell will highlight a colour based on the value and on the value of its guardrail, but that could be different to the guardrail below it?

I've added a screenshot of what the table looks like in Excel, currently the PBI report does not exist because I am reluctant to start the work without knowing if I will ever be able to actually recreate it.

I appreciate any help you can offer!

Izzii0x_0-1634656913858.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Izzii0x ,

The following article describes in detail about Power BI Conditional Formatting for Matrix and Table Visuals.Refer it and check if it could help you solved your question about Conditional Formatting.

refer:https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/6265/power-bi-conditional-formatting-for-matrix-and-table-vis... 

vluwangmsft_0-1634869207703.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Best Regards

Lucien

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Izzii0x ,

Has your problem been solved, if so, please consider Accept a correct reply as the solution or share your own solution to help others find it.

Best Regards
Lucien

v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Izzii0x ,

The following article describes in detail about Power BI Conditional Formatting for Matrix and Table Visuals.Refer it and check if it could help you solved your question about Conditional Formatting.

refer:https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/6265/power-bi-conditional-formatting-for-matrix-and-table-vis... 

vluwangmsft_0-1634869207703.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Best Regards

Lucien

Izzii0x
Frequent Visitor

I've solved half of this via trial and error, if anyone stumbles across the dynamic column headers question and is wondering:

I brought several start of month dates into a test table (way more than I required), with dummy values assigned. Then I sorted the list in PQ by date ascending (sorting via Table.Buffer to ensure the sorting locks in). Then, I selected the matrix table and put the dates into columns and set the filter to the last 13 calendar months. 

Actually quite a simple fix to what I was expecting to be more of a complex problem! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.