Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ysapiyev
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

How to change field name in hierarchy input

Hi everyone,

I have a visual input of hierarchy level. How can I rename it? I was able to rename regular input field, but not hierarchy.

Regards,

Yerkhan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @ysapiyev,
Based on my test, Live connection limits the data hierarchy function, you can not use it.

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @ysapiyev,

In your scenario, if your data is a date hierarchy and it is automatically generated in Power BI like the picture below.

a.PNG

You can't rename the hierarchy, but you can create several related calculated columns to recreate a designed customized hierarchy. Now you can create these calculated columns.

Day = DAY('Table1'[Date])

MONTH = MONTH('Table1'[Date])

Year = YEAR('Table1'[Date])

Quarter = "Q" & INT ( FORMAT ( [Date], "q") )

Put the [MONTH] field into the [Year] field. Now you can see a new hierarchy. You can also put the [Quarter] and [Day] fields into this hierarchy and you can rename it now.

Capture.PNG

You can also download the PBIX file to have a view.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oere6z4rqhk8bs1/How%20to%20change%20field%20name%20in%20hierarchy%20input....

Regards,

Daniel He

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-danhe-msft

So, if I understood correctly, it only applicable to imported data, right?

Regards,

Yerkhan

Hi @ysapiyev,

Based on my test, it depends on how your data is connected.
If you are using the Direct Query mode, you can use the way I mentioned earlier. If you are using the Live Connection mode, I am afraid you can’t use the way. And both of them have no built-in date hierarchy.
If you are using the Import mode you can use the way easily.

Reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-directquery-about

Regards,

Daniel He

@v-danhe-msft

What about live connection? I can't switch to data import,

Regards,

Yerkhan

Hi @ysapiyev,
Based on my test, Live connection limits the data hierarchy function, you can not use it.

Regards,

Daniel He

@v-danhe-msft,

Ok. Thanks.

Regards,

Yerkhan

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.